Slipping Chain

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I bought a new set of wheels (Fulcrum Racing 3) and have been using them with a new cassette for a couple of weeks now. I fitted a new chain today, counting the same number of links as the old one, and fitted it to the bike. It was shifting perfectly into all gears when in the workstand.

I've just been out for a test ride and all is not well. It's fine cycling along on the flat, but as soon as I try to put any power down (e.g. from traffic lights, junctions etc.) I get major slippage and it sounds awful. It's difficult to see exactly what's going on, but it doesn't appear to be skipping between gears on the back ... and the rear derailleur was new about 2000 miles ago so I doubt it's that - spring tension is still fine. It's not the freehub as there is no slip in the 30t cog (triple).

It's a triple crankset and it appears to be fine in the 30T cog, which I hardly ever use.

The bike has done about 13500 miles in the last 16 months, and I'm thinking it's possibly the chainrings but I can't be sure. The 52T cog is a little pricey with them being ultegra so before I drop £80 on it and the 39T (52t and 39t are slipping) could you take a look at the photo below? Ta.

photo.jpg

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yes, they both look worn enough to cause a new chain to slip.
  • dee4life2005
    It wasn't slipping with the old chain just yesterday, but just checking Strava it was 3088 miles I go I fitted that. Yikes, I normally change my chains at around 2000 so I've probably left it way too long and the chain has worn what life was left in those chainrings :-(
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As they do need changing why are you going to drop £80 on Ultegra ones? Shop around and buy aftermarket - exactly if not better quality and bigger price choice.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dee4life2005
    Can you get aftermarket 52t ones, the 39t I'm not fussed about being Ultegra ...
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Do look a bit on the worn side, but before dropping cash on the chainring, perhaps worth checking the cables, inner and possibly outer. Like brake cables, the tension can appear fine, but the cable is "sticky".

Also, just from the pic, doesn't seem to be much by way of chain lube?
  • dee4life2005
    Cables and outer were done about 500miles ago, and it's shifting up and down nicely both front and back. There's no lube on the chain, just the factory stuff as it's a brand new chain and only done 10 miles.

I might just buy the 39t cog and see if that resolves the issue for that one ... Then I'll know for sure that the 52t needs done too.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Run a search on the subject because this is pretty common.
    It's usually a stiff link on the chain or a couple of clicks on the rear derailleur cable adjuster, relube the chain and take the factory grease off the chain too.
    There's nothing up with your chainrings.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    That middle ring is knackered. The outer is less worn, but not great. Sadly they are stupid expensive for ultegra rings, is it 5 bolt or the new 4 bolt?
  • dee4life2005
    It's the 6703 triple, 5 bolt. The 30t and 39t aren't too badly priced but the 52t :shock:
    If the rest of the group set wasn't all ultegra I would probably be buying a new chainset, but I like stuff to match ... Damn you OCD :lol:
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Try a cheap steel one, see if it works better? Then keep that for winter, expensive one for clean rides?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    You can get aftermarket anything you want - do a quick google or check the usual suspects (chain reaction, wiggle, merlin, etc).

For example: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/chainring ... wwodLVIAuA
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rocket1
    rocket1 Posts: 76
    Have a look here for a chain ring cheapest ive found
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/chai ... d-fc-6603-