Riding with a GPS

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I am preparing for a 100 miles ride, and I am struggling to find suitable roads to cycle on other than to repeat local loops that are becoming boring. I hate riding on big roads (A and even B roads), so ideally would love to ride on small country lanes. I saw that i could upload other people rides on a GPS unit (Garmin, Bryton etc). RIght now I just don't have the cash to justify spending too much. I have got a Windows phone and uploaded Cycle Tracks GPS. I have not tried it yet as I don't have a phone holder for bikes. I am not sure that I can use it without the data enabled option off.
My question is can you suggest what is the best thing to use for riding with a GPS and prepare my routes before riding or download existing rides from others. I quite like the Bryton 50 from what I have read as the Garmin models are definitely out of my budget. So any suggestion is welcome, being a GPS unit, or an app for my Windows phone, thanks
J
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Take a look at the mio range.

The Garmin 800 can also be had for less than £200 if you look hard enough.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I have a Garmin 800. I plan my routes on RideWithGPS and then export them to my computer and then copy them onto the Garmin for use. I have looked at other peoples routes on the site and have occasionally used them for inspiration but I generally create mine from scratch.

RideWithGPS will work with any GPS unit that will accept routes in GPX or TCX formats so you aren't necessarily limited to Garmin units.

One benefit of Garmin units with maps is the ability to use free maps based on OpenStreetMap data.

If you want to follow a map on the GPS device then the units aren't the cheapest as you will be looking at the higher end models. If you are happy to follow a breadcrumb trail and have no maps then cheaper units are viable.
  • jeannot18
    Thanks, MIO looks good and can be found at a "good" price. I like the Garmin but obviously I will have to spend more.
    J
    Pédale ou crève
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    I have started looking at the Ridewithgps.

You can put in your home address and view routes starting within your area.
    Then I just transfer it to my Mio 305 and navigate away.

One word of warning is to check the routes on Ridewithgps 1st as some favour cycle routes eg off road slower routes and canal paths.

Othewise with the Mio you can use the surprise me function and it'll plan you a route by time/distance or a point on the map and loop you back to your start point.
  • jeannot18
    Downward wrote:
    I have started looking at the Ridewithgps.

You can put in your home address and view routes starting within your area.
    Then I just transfer it to my Mio 305 and navigate away.

One word of warning is to check the routes on Ridewithgps 1st as some favour cycle routes eg off road slower routes and canal paths.

Othewise with the Mio you can use the surprise me function and it'll plan you a route by time/distance or a point on the map and loop you back to your start point.
    Thank you, I have read about this option, and it sounds quite good, is it something you have used? Does it really work? Can you program the GPS to avoid big road (i.e. A roads), thanks
    J
    Pédale ou crève
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I have followed someone who was using a Mio "surprise me" route. I wouldn't recommend it. We had a nice trip through the nearest town centre, then looped through a housing estate, and then onto a busy A road. This could probably be avoided by taking a look at the routes it suggests (it suggests three) and not doing any obviously crap ones, but given how quick and easy it is to use something like the Strava planner to plot a route, I wouldn't bother.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    Yes there are options in the menu to avoid specific types of routes, 2 different types of mapping used too.

Not too bad for me as I know if I head in a certain direction it's urban and another route it'll be countryside.