Cube agree top tube knocking

Paul Stumpy FSR
Paul Stumpy FSR Posts: 59
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hi,
My cubes top tube is knocking badly when going over bumps.
I'm pretty sure it's the internally routed rear brake cable, as you can push in and out of the frame and here it tapping the inside of the tube, so think it's just tapping the thin tube.
Does anyone have any ideas to sort this as it's driving me crazy. Should there be something in there to stop this happening? I've only had it a few months.
It's a 2014 cube agree GTC race.
Thanks
Paul

Comments

• wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Try fixing some cable donuts on the inner cables sheath to stop it knocking on the tube, draw out the sheath and stick some donuts on the sheath, ends and middle with rubber glue from a puncture repair kit. Common problem and tried and tested solution.
  • Excellent. Thanks. I'll have to give that a try.
    On the cube though the outer cable runs all the way through the frame, not like the gear cables which is just the inner and a donut will fit on. May have to find something else.
    Just annoying I have to do anything on a brand new bike!
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Excellent. Thanks. I'll have to give that a try.
    On the cube though the outer cable runs all the way through the frame, not like the gear cables which is just the inner and a donut will fit on. May have to find something else.
    Just annoying I have to do anything on a brand new bike!

The normal donuts may well slide down over outer that's in the frame, they are pretty stretchy and cheap so not much lost if you rip a few trying. Found these no pic but they are listed for outers

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/9332-jagw ... ble-donuts

Failing that ask a cube concept store
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    Hi this is a common problem that cube know about if you get in touch with your local cube dealer or where you bought the bike from they should be able to get you some sleeves that go over the cable. these should be free and depending where you got your bike from the dealer should do it for free or a nominal fee.

if you google cube agree cable rattle you should find more info.
  • great, cheers. will get onto my LBS where i bought it from. those outer donuts sound good too!
    the brake cable still rattles, but if you push it more into the frame, it reduces it.
    however, i have since noticed that main knocking noise i was getting was my saddle bag. the co2 canister was knocking against the seat post :oops:
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Try fixing some cable donuts on the inner cables sheath to stop it knocking on the tube, draw out the sheath and stick some donuts on the sheath, ends and middle with rubber glue from a puncture repair kit. Common problem and tried and tested solution.
    Sounds like you're on the wrong forum!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Use some cable ties, put them over the outer but DONT cut down the tail as you normally would, curl them round so they act as a spring, 3 or 4 along the length should be enough, this will stop the cable outer tapping on the inside of the top tube.
  • I just run the cable outer the whole way from the lever to the brake, inside the frame. No rattles at all.