Dragon Ride 2014 - road condition ?

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
Self explanatory really. Does anyone ride those roads regularly ? Does anyone know what the Tarmac is like at the moment ? We've had a harsh winter and the Tarmac in Berkshire is currently sh1te.

Do I stick with the Duranos that are fitted at the moment ? Or do I put my lovely Veloflex Corsas on and run the risk of the light weight rubber falling foul to poor road surfaces ?

See you there folks !
:D
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    I ride the area all the time although I havent been into the llyn brianne section for a long time.

roads are hit and miss but I dont think any worse than last year if you did the 2013 event. I use conti gp4000s and they have stood up well to all weather and road conditions if that helps, which includes numerous trips over all the major climbs and sections of this years parcour in the last few months.
  • Pacemaker
    Pacemaker Posts: 4
    I have rode the entire medio fondo route several times in the last couple of months. As described above much the same as last year the road out of Cymmer as you head up the Bwlch is quite a rough surface but it has been for several years. Bwlch, Rhigos, Brecon Beacons all in good condition, as is Cimla.

There have been roadworks in Cwmafan so there is a fair bit of loose stones so take care as you turn right on the return leg back into Cwmafan from Cimla that junction seems to be very slippery and I can see a few tumbles with a combination of speed tiredness and loose surface.

The devils elbow is as smooth as ever unfortunately! No excuse to get off and walk.