Legend vs Parlee...something else

bigcgilmour
bigcgilmour Posts: 106
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Right, I've managed to talk ''er indoors into a reasonable sum for my new bike. I am however unsure what to buy!?! I've had a look at lots of threads on here and done a little research, talked to lbs etc.

So anyone tell me how their legend 7.5 or parlee z5sli ride, any info on service etc from these companies?

Or should I go for something off the peg that's as good as these two?

Comments

• Both are great choices. I have a Z5 and can vouch for its loveliness. It's light as feck & stiff as feck....without rattling your teeth out like some more "purebred", race frames. Custom paint opportunities are endless, and you obv get lifetime warranty.

At that price bracket, you have plenty of choice....
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I don't think you're going to find anyone who owns that Legend or Parlee who doesn't like it, in fact, can you actually find many people who don't rave about their new bike at whatever price and whatever they've chosen, surely 99.5% of people on here are like that.

I'd try to ride something or inform your choice from more than just a pile of people's lavishly poured on praising adjectives for what they think of the various aspects of their bikes.
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
    So, pick an aggressive/non aggressive geometry for your ride preference. Then pick the one you like the look of most. I didn't pick either of those brands, but I am on the same page as you. A name you don't see on the road much.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    I have a Z5i. Overrated. Overpriced, Taiwanese produced, American rubbish.

Get yourself a Z Zero. Now that's a proper bike

:wink:
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I believe the Parlee have had issues with cracked head tubes, maybe fixed now
    what about a Calfee Dragonfly.
    lots of discussions about Parlee on Road Bike Review Forums
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Legend or Sarto for me if money were no object (which it is). Interesting to read Marco Bertoletti's comments re carbon and its suitability for the majority of riders. Basically he thinks most should be on Ti frames. Leave the carbon for those who race. Legend Queen for me then! Saying that I wouldn't kick a Parlee out of bed either. LBS here in Cambridge stocks them. Gorgeous one in the window right now winking at me!
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Obviously I'm biased!

But as far as I'm aware the Parlee Z5 is a stock size frame - whereas all Legend's are custom made-to-measure.

If this is what appeals to you then go for the Legend. If you went for the HT7.5, then the main tubes would be custom drawn to your weight, riding style etc, giving you an element of dialing in ride characteristics for your frame.

I have the HT9.5 and it is superb in every way. But then again it should be because it's been built for me and me only.
    It's bloody stiff (but is asked for that) but at the same time it's comfortable and the thing is stable as hell. Descending is so much fun.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    LegendLust wrote:
    Obviously I'm biased!

But as far as I'm aware the Parlee Z5 is a stock size frame - whereas all Legend's are custom made-to-measure.

If this is what appeals to you then go for the Legend. If you went for the HT7.5, then the main tubes would be custom drawn to your weight, riding style etc, giving you an element of dialing in ride characteristics for your frame.

I have the HT9.5 and it is superb in every way. But then again it should be because it's been built for me and me only.
    It's bloody stiff (but is asked for that) but at the same time it's comfortable and the thing is stable as hell. Descending is so much fun.

Indeed the Z5 is stock frame, hence my comment above. It's the only model which is and the only one made outside of the US. They do off each frame size with different head tube lengths for a more appropriate fitting. I couldn't stretch my budget beyond the 5 and it won over the Look 695 for me for pure understatement and style. You still get the custom paint and decals too (for extra dosh obviously).

It's still a beautiful bike to ride and look at. As you'd expect for c£3.5k.
  • bigcgilmour
    bigcgilmour Posts: 106
    Anybody had any dealings with Comtat???
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English, clearly. Of course the waiting list is now almost 3 years...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jamie4759
    jamie4759 Posts: 117
    Where I can find the article re Marco Bertoletti's comments re carbon and its suitability for the majority of riders? I have thought for a long time that carbon is for people that race, TT etc. My carbon bike is very nice to ride and stunningly effective, but, not quite the same as my TI bike for 'grin factor'. Each to their own I suppose! Anyone ridden or seen the Legend Fadaia steel bike?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Anybody whose bought a Parlee or Legend, when asked, is going to say its great after spending all that money. (Except one in this thread.) Dont you have to be over 50, overweight and work for a bank to ride a Parlee? Legend is such a bad name for a frame, could be from Halfords.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Chap in my club has got a Parlee something or other, cost a small fortune so probably the top level custom frame. Lovely bike, light as a feather, very clean lines.

My dream carbon bike would be a Wyndymilla Massive Attack or Foo Fighter (aero). British based down in Surrey.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Right, I've managed to talk ''er indoors into a reasonable sum for my new bike. I am however unsure what to buy!?! I've had a look at lots of threads on here and done a little research, talked to lbs etc.

So anyone tell me how their legend 7.5 or parlee z5sli ride, any info on service etc from these companies?

Or should I go for something off the peg that's as good as these two?

Got a few friends that have Parlee's and they are all super happy with them. I can't say that I like the look of them though. don't know where you are based but Bespoke on Farringdon Road stock them..
  • LegendLust
    JAMIE4759 wrote:
    Where I can find the article re Marco Bertoletti's comments re carbon and its suitability for the majority of riders? I have thought for a long time that carbon is for people that race, TT etc. My carbon bike is very nice to ride and stunningly effective, but, not quite the same as my TI bike for 'grin factor'. Each to their own I suppose! Anyone ridden or seen the Legend Fadaia steel bike?

It was in Cyclist Magazine, Issue 14, Jan 2014.

My brother has just had a Fedaia frame built - once he's built it up and ridden it I'll let you know!
  • LegendLust
    Grill wrote:

Why?
  • LegendLust
    drlodge wrote:
    Chap in my club has got a Parlee something or other, cost a small fortune so probably the top level custom frame. Lovely bike, light as a feather, very clean lines.

My dream carbon bike would be a Wyndymilla Massive Attack or Foo Fighter (aero). British based down in Surrey.

Although the frames are made by Sarto in Italy
  • Camcycle1974
    JAMIE4759 wrote:

In the interview piece he did with Cyclist Magazine. Issue 17 I think.
  • Camcycle1974
    LegendLust wrote:
    JAMIE4759 wrote:

It was in Cyclist Magazine, Issue 14, Jan 2014.

My brother has just had a Fedaia frame built - once he's built it up and ridden it I'll let you know!

Thanks LL, re-read it recently, an interesting article with someone refreshingly uncompromising. Legend would be high on my list of custom frame builders. Love your Legend blog btw. Your colour way is pretty much my dream bike.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    LegendLust wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Why?

There's nothing really original or special when it comes to Legend. They make a decent looking bike, but it's hardly inspired and it's not like Bertoletti makes each ones himself (the same can be said for many frame builders). With English everything is made entirely by Rob and is completely original. The design, materials and fit are never repeated. If you want something truly original then there is no one better.

Blue_White_TT_001_4425.jpg
    Tron_web_001_7766.jpg
    Blue_Slice_E_001_0021.jpg
    Blue_Orange_English_026_5263.jpg
    jacks_english_ib1.jpg
    right21.jpg
    English_Cycles_001_2617.jpg
    Black_Web_002_9619.jpg
    Yellow_Web_001_9603.jpg
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg