SRAM Rival Front / left Shifting

Lifeboy123
Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have a Boardman Team 2010, from neew so now 4 years old

Even though the bike has been regularly serviced and later returned to the LBS who then replaced the cable but left shifting is troublesome, particularly going from small to large on the the front.

It is temperamental either not shifting at all or a unexpectedly a few pedal strokes later, often require considerable effort and play on the left shifter to change ring.

Any advice on what the cause of the problem may be other than try another LBS to psay and sort out the problem ?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    The problem is the SRAM front mech, they turn to shit after a while. Replace it with a shimano 5600 or 6600 series.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    SRAM doesn't turn to crap and it sounds like it hasn't been set correctly.

Set the shifter so the cable is slack i.e. set for the small ring.
    undo the cable retaining bolt.
    Set the FD using the limit screw nearest the frame so that the chain is barely clearing it on the inside when in the largest sprocket on the back.
    Reattach the cable pulling it hand tight and tighten the retaining bolt.
    Try to change up to the big ring.
    Make any adjustment using the limit screw nearest to you.
    Check the changes on the front when at both extremes of the cassette.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    My understanding is that Shimano and SRAM pull ratios are completly different. As to difficult front shifting firstly check everything moves freely by hand with no cable attached, then after reattaching I find you need good tension on the cable when in the small ring. Thereafter when you go to shift up you get instant movement.

I have fitted in line adjusters to enable tensionning easily. If you do not have them I usually tension normally then with the chain on the big ring without turning the crank shift down to the low ring. The mech will butt against the chain and crankset and the cable will go slack, tighten the cable slightly with the mech in this position. Then check if everything works.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Pull ratios are the same on front derailleurs. They only differ the rear.

Also, my Rival FD still functions perfectly after being fitted almost 18 months ago on the original cables.

As above, set the FD up properly and ensure cable tension is correct.

Halfords aren't exactly known for great quality builds - I've had to fix pretty much every Boardman bike my boss bought from Halfords!
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    I have the SRAM Rival on my bicycle, when the front gets a bit dodgy I clean everything on the derailleur well, check the H and L adjustment screws and the cable tension gets adjusted properly. They seem to be more sensitive to getting grungy and having some problems with shifting from the big ring down to the small ring if I am in a larger rear cog, close to a cross chain setting. I found that setting the trim when I approach a cross chain situation stops this, also. Seems a bit more touchy than Shimano to being properly set up.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...