Cracked Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

pauljink
pauljink Posts: 51
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Looking for some opinions on a cracked drive-side seat stay.

I had cleaned the hub at the weekend as was having issues with it sticking – pedals rotated when I pushed the bike, and the chain stuck when I pedalled backwards. At this point the hub wasn’t stiff and I could cycle ok – just had issues when starting off from a standing start.

So I opened up the hub, cleaned it out, and it was smooth as butter for 3-4 days

Thursday morning I went to accelerate partaking in some SCR, and pretty much felt like I was dragging a ton weight. Pulled over, made sure my brake pads weren’t rubbing and my wheel wasn’t buckled. Seemed ok. Cycled a couple of miles then made arrangement

to get my hub serviced at the LBS. Presumed I hadn’t put in enough oil or grease.

Put my bike in the back of the 4*4, took it out, noticed them frame was cracked, then shouted some expletives. The crack is all the way round, so I don’t think it could have happened when we put it in the car.

Now, I’m wondering if the frame cracked on Thursday morning and that’s the reason I thought the hub had seized again, or if the frame cracked whilst loading it in and out of the back of the car.

I’m about to contact Canyon regarding a possibly warranty claim, but looking for some opinions before I do so.

Suppose my question is, when is the frame most likely to have cracked?

Pictures to come

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Is it under warranty? So long as you've not given it a big knock, or crashed it, then one would expect to receive a warranty replacement...
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • pauljink
    It is under warranty - purchased last summer
  • pauljink
    Just looking for someone to confirm that this kind of crack is unlikely to have occurred when loading the bike in the back of a people carrier.

Cheers
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Unless you mashed the frame in the tailgate, I think you would have noticed that you applied significant force/impact that would cause a frame to crack.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • spankwilder
    spankwilder Posts: 169
    pauljink wrote:
    Just looking for someone to confirm that this kind of crack is unlikely to have occurred when loading the bike in the back of a people carrier.

Cheers

I've put a couple of bikes on the back of a car before, they've never done that. Obviously if you're putting it in the car and try to cut the frame in half with the tailgate, I guess it would look similar to the picture there