Looking at Garmin cycling computers. Which one to buy?

lukebennett
lukebennett Posts: 52
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking into buying myself a Garmin computer, I want accurate cadence and heart rate monitors as well as GPS, so the Garmin seemed good. I was originally going to go for a 810. But not sure now whether to get a 500 or 510 because they are smaller. Then of course there is the new 1000 which would be up to date. But it's larger and heavier.

Some advice from people that know a lot or own a garmin would be awesome

Thanks,

Luke

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have the 800 and does everything I need, particularly guiding me along a pre-planned rote. Has been bug free unlike some newer 810s my friends have.

Do you want satnav style navigation?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    If you don't want navigation, then get the 500... Unless you particularly want bluetooth connectivity and live tracking: in which case get the 510.

If you want navigation then it is between the good value of the 800 and the modern features of the 1000, in my opinion.

The Mio range are also worth looking at.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 849
    returned my 500 and got the 800 bundle deal that keeps appearing on Amazon. Didn't realise how useful navigation would be.
  • twgh
    twgh Posts: 102
    If all you want is something record data then go with the 500. If you want GPS go with the 1000. I don't see the point of anything else really.

I have the 500 and when I do upgrade it will be to the 1000.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    It's primarily a function of do you need/ want maps and route guidance blow by blow.

If not required, then you'd be well served by either the 500 or 510 which are lighter and probably better on battery longevity.

For maps, I'm not sure if Garmin properly sorted out their units with the 800 and the interface with cadence/ heart rate. I may have been unlucky but I had a world of problems with my 800. It now behaves impeccably however, that is after I accepted to run without the cadence and hrm functionality. As I say, I may have been unlucky in this respect.

If I were going to get maps, I'd definitely hold off and go for the 1000 - after a couple of months when feedback will be flowing through the forums!

Peter
  • lukebennett
    drlodge wrote:
    I have the 800 and does everything I need, particularly guiding me along a pre-planned rote. Has been bug free unlike some newer 810s my friends have.

I would like to be able to download routes from strava or garmin onto it and be able to follow the route with directions. Is this possible on the 500? Or would you recommend another for this?

Thanks ,

Luke
  • drlodge
    drlodge wrote:

I would like to be able to download routes from strava or garmin onto it and be able to follow the route with directions. Is this possible on the 500? Or would you recommend another for this?

Thanks ,

Luke

You'll be wanting the 800 or higher models. If you can get the 800 bundle on Amazon, this seem to be a bargain.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lukebennett
    Cool so, 800 or higher, I shall look into it now :). Thanks very much for all the great advice!

Thanks,

Luke
  • Wiggle have a very good deal on the base 810 at the moment, Ive just bought one to replace my old 800 which I can not live without now.

Rich...
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    You can download routes to the 500, i do it regularly.
    One of the guys plot it on Garmin Connect website, or you download the GPX file for the sportive and it does it as a bread crumb route. Essentially you follow the line. It does not have maps, streets or anything like that but is pretty effective.
    D
  • drlodge
    FuriousD wrote:
    You can download routes to the 500, i do it regularly.
    One of the guys plot it on Garmin Connect website, or you download the GPX file for the sportive and it does it as a bread crumb route. Essentially you follow the line. It does not have maps, streets or anything like that but is pretty effective.
    D

AFAIK, the 200 does the same.
    Find me on Strava
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yep did an 80 miler round Wales on unknown roads. The breadcrumb trail on the 500 was enough to get me round. Simple but effective.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    As an 810 owner I would suggest saving some cash and going for the 800. I've never used the Bluetooth or Live track features. Then again 810 is coming way down in price now the 1000 is out.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I've used my 500 for planned route navigation and it was fine. A little beep-happy but got me around routes in places I had no idea where I was going.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Before buying make sure you check out Handtec they have some good deals, I have used them over the last 4 years and they have been excellent for service and price.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/satnav-gps.html?cat=8&manufacturer=67
  • Best deal I could find on the 810 was from Wiggle, it is not much more than an 800 or 510 at this price

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-810 ... tAodfQIAWg
  • livetrack is the only reason i went for a 510 over the 500.
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    The 500 will do all you want if you dont need routes ...
    But then you might want it later :D

PBK are doing 10% off Garmin at the moment.