4za Cirrus wheel loose...

Kryton57
Kryton57 Posts: 95
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Before I hit the trigger on some replacement wheels...

My 4ZA Cirrus rear wheel (3yo, 15000k) has developed a looseness in the rear hub which manifests its self as a "rattle" when riding over bumps as if the QR is loose, and is rubbing the brake blocks on cornering hard.

When static, you can rattle the wheel at the top about the distance between the brake blocks with the cam in the open position. Its recently had new cartridge bearings and that hasn't helped, I've checked the 2 x Hub bolts are tight, the cassette is tight, and the wheel is in and QR done up properly.

Any ideas?

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Sounds like the new cartridge bearings have not been adjusted properly
  • Kryton57
    47p2 wrote:
    Sounds like the new cartridge bearings have not been adjusted properly

It was the same with old ones, and I thought at the time that 13k on them was time for replacement. But they are pressed in by an LBS, how could they not be "adjusted" properly I'm not with you on that?
  • 47p2
    Usually the bearing cover has some sort of bearing adjustment

Below is the 4Za PDF for wheel spares if that helps
    Click
  • Kryton57
    Hmm thanks. Its looks simple and I've checked that the end caps are tight. From that diagram (p5) I could only assume that one of the drive side spacers is perhaps missing, there's not much to go loose!
  • 47p2
    On most cartridge bearing hubs one side usually has a preload adjustment, worth checking that out first
  • Kryton57
    I can't see one - and the diagram on p5 of the PDF that 47p2 linked to doesn't show one.