Where to keep pump ?

OceanOne
OceanOne Posts: 16
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Hi all
I was wondering where most riders keep their pump. Thinking of getting a Topeak race rocket or rocket mt mini pump but not sure whether to mount it to the frame or get a small wedge pack to go under the seat. Are there any disadvantages of fixing to the bottle cage mount or are some of the guys on here saying don't do that cos it's not cool or something.

Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Use a camelbak. You need somewhere to keep spare tubes, multi tool and junk.
    You will loose it if you use the frame bracket.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    It'll get covered in crap on the bike too, then when you need it the insides will have rusted, and you'll have an 8km walk back to the car as it gets dark. *personal experience*
  • OceanOne
    OceanOne Posts: 16
    Thanks RM I am thinking for shorter rides where I don't think I would want to use a backpack though. But if you could recommend a small backpack which doesn't make you sweat then I will consider one of those as well for longer rides.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Whether it's long or short rides you need to carry tubes and tools, a short ride can be a long push.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not really. I live next to Swinley and often pop out for an hour or two with nothing but a water bottle and my awesome skill.
    If anything goes wrong I might have a bit of a walk, but so what.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    A bit like this ^^^^^

I live close, but not next door to Swinely. But the car park is (presumably) no further to walk to than Cooldad's gaff.

And besides there's always someone who'll stop and lend you their pump :twisted:
  • Wily-Quixote
    Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
    I always have my pump next to my water bottle. I cover the pump with an tube condom (old inner tube) to stop water and mud ingress and in 15 years of mountain biking I have never lost my pump because it sits inboard of my legs.

Conversely, every time that I have not had a pump attached to my bike I've invariably forgotten it, it's been in my other bag or I have not decided to take a bag... what then? A pump in your jersey pocket is far more likely to bounce out on a rough descent than be lost from the frame.

Stick it on your frame, then it's always there when you need it. Stick a saddle bag under your saddle with a spare tyre and levers, it's always there when you need it.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    pump on frame, seat bag with inner tube, small multi tool and tyre levers. I often commute to work when i have a backpack with work stuff in not a camelbak, so its easier for me to keep maintenance stuff on the bike. I just clean and dry pump when I clean bike.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    pump in bag with tubes, tyre lever, multi tool, zip ties, food and water.

I have a separate rucksack for MTB so I just keep it all together and top up the water when required.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rockmonkeysc
    How about a fanny pack?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are you American?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    How about a fanny pack?

Jesus, you can buy them in packs?! If I'd have known that it would have saved me a whole lot of effort over the years.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Of course - I've been packing it in for years.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Jersey pocket? :?

I've got tube, levers,multitool & Co2 in my jersey pockets
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    cyd190468 wrote:
    As above. Pump on frame. The mounting bracket usually has a velcro strap so they don't come off. Saddle bag with tube and levers as I have bikes with three different wheel sizes so the tube stays with the bike. I wear a belt that's designed for running with tools in it. Like Batman :D The belt also holds a drink bottle.

That seemed like a good idea until I managed to shake the mounting bolts loose, the bottle cage and pump fell off the bike. I picked up the cage but totally forgot about the pump. A few miles later I get a pinch flat, go to change it and realise I'm walking.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Who has jersey pockets to keep stuff in? I don't have pockets in any of my ride shirts - dakine/RF type ride shirts. Camelback all the way for me - whatever ride I am on I can suffer a mechanical of some sort and need that kit, plus I need water, somewhere to keep my keys and card. I could load every pocket and still not carry everything I have in my pack as securely and conveniently loaded.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    Mine have pockets - lycra is awesome.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ednino
    Who has jersey pockets to keep stuff in?

Cyclists.
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:

Roadie
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Roadie
    I should report you for abusive language.

The correct term is old skool.

And tight.

ps I do cover up the gluts with baggies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    ednino wrote:

Cyclists.

But why would you keep a pump in a pocket? Sounds painful if you fall off. At least a camelback (or other hydropack) provides padding between you and your tools in a tumble. I saw 7 other riders on trail today and only 1 had jersey pockets with stuff in and he was riding a 29er so doesnt count.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ednino
    ednino wrote:

Cyclists.

But why would you keep a pump in a pocket? Sounds painful if you fall off. At least a camelback (or other hydropack) provides padding between you and your tools in a tumble. I saw 7 other riders on trail today and only 1 had jersey pockets with stuff in and he was riding a 29er so doesnt count.

Don't fall off.