Jake the snake thoughts

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited June 2014 in Cyclocross
Looking to swap my cross bike for something newer but I have a few criteria, I can't seem to find many that fit the bill.

Probably sounds like I want the moon on the stick but I'm looking for the following traits:

Race geometry (Or as close as it can be, this bike will be raced in the cross season)

I can fit a rear rack and possibly mudguards

I can fit a wide tyre, I want to use this for some gravel style sportives so a fat tyre is essential for comfort (I am currently running a 30c which is fine for shorter rides but is uncomfortable for longer distances over dry bumpy stuff

It must have a carbon fork, bikes like the tricross have an alu fork and I can't say it appeals.

It must be relatively light weight in race form

The only one I can see that fits the bill is the Jake the snake but I'm not sure what size tyres I can get on, would a 35c give me the comfort I'm looking for?

Originally I was looking at a Giant Revolt as it ticks nearly all the boxes but I wasn't convinced it would have racy enough geometry. It CAN however take a 50mm tyre which is almost monster cross territory.

Anyone got any thoughts? Any Jake/Jake the snake owners out there?

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    What about the Giant TCX 1.

It takes 32c/35c tyres, it can fit mudguards and a rack and it has a carbon fork and it is relatively light.

And it is cheaper than the Kona.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Kinesis Pro6? I've just built one up as a commuter (racks, mudguards and enough clearance to put CX tyres under the mudguards for off-road family rides) but they seem to be quite popular for racing; pretty much identical geometry to my Planet X XLSs.

Downsides: Not quite as comfortable to shoulder as some of the carbon bikes with really flattened top tubes, and downtube-routed front mech cable.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Cannondale CAADX?

Whyte do a nice CX bike as well.
  • Paul 8v
    Thanks guys, I shall check these out. I was looking at the Kona rove as it can take big chunky tyres but it looks like it's going to be too heavy.

Most of the CX courses I've seen don't have a lot of points where you need to shoulder the bike so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

Will I still get some all day comfort with 35s? I know a lot of these gravel boys in the US of A are on 40c and higher?

I may look at tubeless so I can save some weight and run a lower pressure without pinch flats, do I need a compressor?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Thanks guys, I shall check these out. I was looking at the Kona rove as it can take big chunky tyres but it looks like it's going to be too heavy.

Most of the CX courses I've seen don't have a lot of points where you need to shoulder the bike so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

Will I still get some all day comfort with 35s? I know a lot of these gravel boys in the US of A are on 40c and higher?

I may look at tubeless so I can save some weight and run a lower pressure without pinch flats, do I need a compressor?
    Out of all of them the Giant seems to be excellent value. As it's under a grand I might be able to twist someone's arm and get it on a cycle to work scheme.

Not sure what brain surgeon thought white bar tape and saddle would be a good choice...

Any owners who can comment on tyre sizes? Giant's website only has a side on picture Which isn't much help! Looking to get something like a 38c Pasela TG, hoping that will fit in as it has no knobbles.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I commute on a 2010 Jake the snake and love it. I have 35mm marathon plus tyres and, although heavy, are perfectly comfortable. only thing I would've change would be getting disk brakes which didn't come on cx at the time.
  • Paul 8v
    Cool, thanks Jawooga, I just need to convince my employer to stump up the money now for the C2W scheme :-)
  • Good luck if you can find a Jake - I ended up with a CAADX and didn't regret it. :D
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Paul 8v
    Still haven't managed to get this on cycle to work. I don't think it's ever going to happen. The giant still looks like the best bet and it comes with tubeless tyres which I definitely fancy trying out (God knows why Schwalbe only make one true CX tubeless tyre and they only sell it to Giant as an OEM (Super swan), surely they would sell a bucket load of tubeless cross tyres as there isn't much choice of approved tyres)

The through axle on the front looks pretty good, I'll definitely swap out the white tape and saddle though!

As I won't be getting this for cheaper with the C2W scheme, does anyone know when the new model ranges come out roughly? I want to try and pick one up slightly cheaper in the sales...