9 speed chain on 8 speed groupset?

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited May 2014 in Workshop
QQ ...

My 8 speed groupset will be replaced in the near future - but right now the chain is beyond 1% stretch and sounds truely awful ... I can chuck a load of lube on it - but whilst it quietens down the noise it just makes a black gunky mess. I _could_ buy a new 8 speed chain, but with the upgrade imminent I don't really want to throw money away.
I already have a newer cassette to put on - as the old cassette is beyond knackered too.
The bike is used primarily for TTing (hence the upgrade and change of gear levers) - so doesn't get huge mileage.

However, I am retiring a 9 speed chain from my main commute bike - wear is between 0.75 and 1% (with the chain measuring tool - I can't be arsed to get a ruler out ... the chain is being replaced!) - but I think there's probably a little bit of life left in it - its certainly better condition that the 8 speed chain! ... Can I put the 9 speed chain on the 8 speed groupset or will it be too narrow?

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Should work, differences of "1" between components shouldn't cause a problem, according to Sheldon anyway.

I'm using a 9 speed chain on a cassette that has 7 speed sprockets (the smallest 2) and it works fine with them.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    ta

May as well try it - what have I got to lose?!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,238
    Your nuts when it all goes tits up?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowbike
    Your nuts when it all goes tits up?
    More likely to happen with an old knackered chain is that not?

Any technical reasoning behind your statement?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Whack it on and see - can't see any major reason behind it not working and if its an old chain if its doesn't you've lost nothing anyway.

It may skip a bit due to wear on one cassette and moving it over to the other but just ride for a couple of hundred miles and it should bed itself it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    9 works on 8. Especially when it's worn. It'll be fine.