Bib shorts or shorts?

othello
othello Posts: 578
edited September 2014 in Women's cycling forum
My wife currently has a pair of DHB (mid-range) cycling shorts and is looking to get a better pair to help her take on Ride100 this year!

I have been encouraging her to get some bib shorts. She has done some reading online and can see the benefits, but also the one big downside -- toilet stops! Which type of shorts are you riding?

Also, are there a particular pair you would recommend? Budget up to £100 I think. I wear Rapha mens classic bibs and think they are amazing, and have encouraged my wife to go for the womens Rapha ones. She does love the look of the high front but doesn't want to spend quite that much.
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Comments

• lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    I swear by Skins Ladies bibs - great chamois in them very comfortable
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    edited May 2014
    Never bib shorts for me. Far too much hassle to go to the loo. Blokes tend not to have waists quite like us girls, so I can see why bib shorts make sense for them. Plain shorts have served me well in 20 years of cycling. Can't personally fathom why any women would want bib shorts, TBH.

The chamois is undoubtedly the critical feature. I liked the one that Impsport were using a few years ago. When your wife finds what suits her, I suggest she sticks with it.

Ruth
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    My OH is the same. She wears shorts, and just sniggers and rolls her eyes when I tell her that bibs are actually really sexy.

BTW, I have to say, that this:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Blokes tend not to have waists quite like us girls
    ... is the politest way I've ever seen of telling blokes that they're fat.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    BTW, I have to say, that this:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Blokes tend not to have waists quite like us girls
    ... is the politest way I've ever seen of telling blokes that they're fat.
    :lol: No, that's not what I meant - honest!

Ruth
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I'm afraid I'm going to go against the flow on here and stick my hand up for bib-shorts - I just find them so much more comfortable. I have Castelli and Rapha ones. I'd much rather wear them than shorts, which I only really tend to wear on the commute these days.

If I were a racer, and needed to make a very quick pit stop, I'd go for normal lycra shorts. But I'm not. I'm a commuter, I go on longer rides at the weekend, and go on cycling holidays. So I can use the loo in a café, or a public one, or behind a bush or whatever. What I do tend to do is wear a jersey that zips all the way, rather than pulls over my head, so that if it's sweaty I can get it on and off quickly. My sports bras are also the coloured cropped top ones, so if anyone sees me inadvertently flashing, they aren't going to see very much. It really isn't that much hassle.

Having said all that, I'm one of those people who are a bit like a camel - I can last pretty much all day on a ride without needing to go more than once.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I wear shorts but that's due to sizing issues rather than comfort or toilet stop issues.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Will MSM 'fess up and say she looks like this when wearing her bibs? :lol:

http://assos.com/fileUpload/images/2963_4.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    actually Im with msmancunia on this, I generally find bibshorts more comfortable than shorts, and for sure that may just be the chamois in the ones Ive got fits better, which are actually the Wiggle team Honda ones made by dhb, but bibs dont dig in at the waist like some shorts do,and are really comfy Ive done up to 50miles in them no problem, though I know there were some really nice (butexpensive) higher waisted Ana nichoola shorts I wanted to try to see if they fixed that, but cant get hold of anymore in my size.

so Id only go for shorts if it was a short trip to the shops/pub when Im more in non cycling gear mode anyway. rest of the time commuting or long rides at the weekend definitely bibs are better for me at least, and the toilet break thing with them, its not insurmountable, its how much you focus on it being a barrier I think, but its personal fit/choice really at the end of the day.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    redvee wrote:

We all do Redvee. In your dreams :wink:

Spookily I fired off an email to Assos only last week complaining about their adverts. Yes, that's right; I'm one of those feminist types.... :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Thank you everyone for the responses. It seems everyone has their favourites!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    redvee wrote:

I ordered a paid lest week but the bibs turned up empty - no sign of assos lady at all. I was ripped off. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    My partner suffered so you don't have to! Her choice now is Rapha either bib shorts or waist in the right size - the wrong size eg large instead of medium leads to rubbing. Assos are also her favourites but Rapha just have it at the moment. Expensive? yes but what price comfort.
    M.Rushton
  • I'm also with msmancunia - bibshorts all the way! I don't even have any normal shorts any more, my bibs are so much more comfortable. I have a mix of brands - dhb for commuting and short rides and Assos or Pearl Izumi for anything further than 50 miles. The Assos ones are the easiest for wee stops because the bib unclips but even without that I'd swap mild inconvenience on an occasional toilet stop for vastly improved comfort and not having an elasticated waistband digging in for hours on end.
    Small fat weak punter
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    I have bibs and shorts, bibs are fine on short rides, but anything over 4 or 5 hours, and five me shorts every time. The key is fit, Assos suit me well, Rapha ok. The chamois is the most important.
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    Always bib shorts. They don't cut into the waist and they neatly smooth out any lumps and bumps.

My Tactics have a clip at the back, so it's simple to go to the loo – don't even need to take off my jersey.
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    I always wore ordinary shorts until this year when I got some Assos and Gore bib shorts. I have found them much more comfortable than the ordinary shorts. They do not cut into the waist at all and are much more comfortable when riding. I find the Assos are great for longer rides and the Gore ones are OK for 30 miles or less.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    I always wore ordinary shorts until this year when I got some Assos and Gore bib shorts. I have found them much more comfortable than the ordinary shorts. They do not cut into the waist at all and are much more comfortable when riding. I find the Assos are great for longer rides and the Gore ones are OK for 30 miles or less.

It's so hard to find any reviews about the Assos bibs for women – which have you got?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    typekitty wrote:
    Always bib shorts. They don't cut into the waist and they neatly smooth out any lumps and bumps.

This. Except for women I can imagine shorts are more convenient when going for a wee (and I'm not referring to coasting very fast downhill).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    typekitty wrote:

It's so hard to find any reviews about the Assos bibs for women – which have you got?
    Bibs - laalalai and definitely not the S5 bibs with special garrotte you with the exploding undoing buckle feature, I also have the knickers with the orange chamois which I find better then the turquoise chamois, as the fit is less bulky.
  • Definately bib shorts, they are so much comfier, only downside is going to the toilet :?
  • The ladies in my local club are very keen on Suarez clothing who apparently do a decent range of high specification Women's clothing. I don't know if this discount code is still valid Health25 but they were using it to get 25 per cent off as well.
  • The ladies in my local club are very keen on Suarez clothing who apparently do a decent range of high specification Women's clothing. I know they were buying both bib and non bib shorts from there. I don't know if this discount code is still valid Health25 but they were using it to get 25 per cent off as well. One of the ladies worked at a health club which was issued the discount code. Might be worth a try.