gears issue

jaworski86
jaworski86 Posts: 11
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everybody!
My issue is chain jumping from 7th gear straight to 9th. No idea how to sort it out. I've got sram x9 2x10
Thanks for any advice

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Assuming you have the gears the right way round (9th is a smaller rear gear than 7th), then the issue is likely to be either a sticky cable or the pivots in the mech getting a bit cruddy (something I get on ,my X9 mech on the commuter).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jaworski86
    jaworski86 Posts: 11
    Well according to my way of thinking :wink: 9 is bigger (more easy going) than 7. Chain is jumping over one gear going up the casette. I thought it might have been cable so I replaced it with new. Shifting is much smoother now but it did not solve the problem. So I gues I can't do much about it?
  • The Rookie
    jaworski86 wrote:
    Well according to my way of thinking :wink: 9 is bigger (more easy going) than 7. Chain is jumping over one gear going up the casette. I thought it might have been cable so I replaced it with new. Shifting is much smoother now but it did not solve the problem. So I gues I can't do much about it?
    OK, so in the real world where we start in first and go up the gears to top gear, when you are changing DOWN it doesn't shift into 3rd but goes from 4th to 2nd?

Have you gone through the indexing (see parktools.com), it just sounds like an indexing issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    Here's a shortcut that'll save an hour of your life. To index... assuming your outer and inner stop limits are set, shift into middle of cassette (4th or 5th gear) then adjust barrel adjuster until derailleur cog nearest cassette lines up exactly with that corresponding gear (4th or 5th gear)

Fin.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I can just see your little face wasting hours doing something that takes literally 2 mins.

That's really not the best way to do it.

You can actually use the mech to pull the cable through.... but anyway..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Would you take technical advice from this guy?
    rubez wrote:
    I see a lot of posts kicking around the internet with people having problems with their suspension forks seizing up, so how possible is it to reliabily seize them up on purpose, so that they effectively become rigid forks?

I don't know how suspension forks work, but could you open them up and replace/remove some inner parts so that they become permanently seized up?

This would be an alternative buying rigid forks, which is a hassle to fit and get right (with the risk of messing it up) as well as saving a good bit of money. With a further added bonus of the colour scheme on my bike surviving intact.

Thanks.
    rubez wrote:
    The chains are split into categories of speeds - 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed etc...

Seems odd. Will I go for the highest speed to make sure I have enough links? Or any the different speeds different widths?
    rubez wrote:
    Lots of term flying around here, I'm talking about getting rid of this

BPC109213.jpg

That's OK, isn't it?

The noodle seems to be that bent pipe thing (what is this for exactly?)

All the rubber boot thing does is keep mud from going in the noodle? Which wouldn't affect performance anyway?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubez
    Ah, you're a forager? :lol:

The lowest form of forum dweller, I need to inform you, sorry :D

I successfully completed the procedure 12 hours ago using this non-nonsense method. Surely if a novice can pull it off, the guide is well suited to you too.

Don't let this snob put you off.
  • cooldad
    I would suggest there are lower.
    rubez wrote:
    Ironically you probably look more like a retard when your out biking with your stupid helmet on, gimp!
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    That's just a quote, not a class of forum dweller :|
  • cooldad
    Really?
    Clue - begins with T and ends with roll.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    LULZ.

I'll let you wear yourself out :lol:

I shan't be part of the further deraillment of this poor chaps thread... try my tip out buddy, worked fine for me.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    keep in mind nothing else seems to work for you that works for others.
  • The Rookie
    Like his first (decent) bike.......
  • cooldad
    rubez wrote:
    LULZ.

I'll let you wear yourself out :lol:

I shan't be part of the further deraillment of this poor chaps thread... try my tip out buddy, worked fine for me.

Really?
    rubez wrote:
    I am nearly finished configuring my bike.

I have arrived at the FINAL, but complicated hurdle - possibly gears or chain-releated.

I mean, it works technically, but I am not 100% happy with it.

My chain seems to wobble, or is shaky/out of true when in operation - also the rear derailleur seems to pulse gently, on a regularly cycle, is this normal? It also looks unparallel to the bike - a bit squint.

When setting up the gears, the B-screw didn't seem to change a thing when I adjusted it, so I don't know if that is set OK.

When pedalling upside down, the chain would rub off the front derailleur mech at certain points, also on a regular cycle, suggesting something is out of shape? - so I have adjusted the front derailleur probably more than I need to, to compensate (it is supposed to be adjusted to be just shy of the chain) ... but I finally got all 3 of the front gears working without any rubbing on the mech thing.

But - shifting down from the large chainring seems not as smooth as it should be, and I am getting a dramatic sword-unsheathing sound when it downshifts! (SCCHHINGG!!!)

I have checked with guides online, and my chain seems to be exactly the correct size, even though it seems shaky.

Don't know where to start really :shock:

Any thoughts on this?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools