New Flat bar road bike or Hybrid for Commuting £500-1000

cyclinghaggis
cyclinghaggis Posts: 40
edited May 2014 in Commuting chat
I've been riding to work on a Revolution Courier for the last 3 years but I'm contemplating upgrading to something a bit nicer/quicker for my commute. I'm pretty much set on another similar flat bar bike. Whatever it is needs to take full length mudguards and a light rack. Price wise I'm looking to spend £500-1000 and ideally should be on sale at Edinburgh cycle co-op as my work scheme uses them.

I've been considering the following options :-

Focus Planet 2.0 '14
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... net-2-0-14

Cannondale Bad Boy 6 '14
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... d-boy-6-14

Focus Arriba 3.0 Disc Acera '14
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... c-acera-14

Specialized Sirrus Comp Disc '14
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... mp-disc-14

Whyte Portobello '14
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... tobello-14

I've test ridden a Whyte Portobello previously and quite like it. Wondering if it's worth the extra to upgrade to the Cambridge/Stirling? The Focus planet is pricey but tempting though I'm a little unsure about the belt drive and whether it would be reliable or fixable if it were to go wrong. The Focus Arriba seems like a good spec for the price. Specialized frame/finishing kit is good but seems, on paper at least, a bit poorly spec'd for the price. Cannondale Bad Boy seems like a worthy alternative to the Whyte bikes.

Any thoughts on the above? Does anyone own any of them and how are you finding it?
When considering upgrading equipment to make you faster remember the words of Lance Armstrong...
"It's NOT About The Bike"

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to clarify, a 'flat bar road bike' is a hybrid, a road bike has drops (only).

Check out also the Boardman Hybrids, better specced and/or cheaper than all of those.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paulleary
    paulleary Posts: 35
    The whyte Stirling is great , been really happy with mine , light quick and sturdy. Very classy with the stealth black. Even used it for a few sportives.
  • @The Rookie: The Boardman's look good but I don't benefit from the 20% or so cycle scheme discount and Halfords don't offer test rides. There's no way I'd spend over £500 on a bike without the chance to test ride it first regardless of how good the value/spec was.

I test rode the Portobello again tonight and I'm pretty happy with it. The only odd thing I noticed was that I caught my heel on the frame where it bows out to accommodate the Disc Brakes (which are hydraulic and fantastic incidentally!). The bike was fitted with cage pedals (plus the seat was lower than it should have been) so I'm not sure whether it would happen with SPDs or MTB Platform pedals which I'll fit if I buy one. I spoke to 3-4 guys in the shop and they all said that the Wyhte R7's are pretty much the best option as far as hybrid bikes go.

The Heel catching thing is irking me actually! I take it nobody else with a Whyte has any similar issues with theirs. Speaking of which would you recommend SPDs or MTB platform pedals for commuting?
    When considering upgrading equipment to make you faster remember the words of Lance Armstrong...
  • paulleary wrote:
    The whyte Stirling is great , been really happy with mine , light quick and sturdy. Very classy with the stealth black. Even used it for a few sportives.

Have you fitted mudguards to yours by the way as that's something I'm definitely after? I notice Whyte have ones specifically made for their R7 range which I presume would be a better bet than generic SKS ones though I'd like to see some pics of them first on the bike.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... -mudguards
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I read on here before about problems with mudgaurd clearance and heel strike on Whyte portobello. Not sure if it's fixed, but having there own range of mudguards sounds positive, and the cycle scheme would cover the cost them if you buy them with the bike ( and EBC will fit them for you at no charge).

Heel strike would be an ongoing issue unless your happy to have the cleats set all the way back on your shoes. But this may be even more of an issue long term if the cleats are wrong for your feet.

If you have spds on your current bike then ask them if you can test ride the bike with your pedals on it. I wouldn't buy the bike if heel strike was going to be an ongoing issue, no matter how many other boxes it ticks.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I test rode the Portobello again tonight and I'm pretty happy with it. The only odd thing I noticed was that I caught my heel on the frame where it bows out to accommodate the Disc Brakes (which are hydraulic and fantastic incidentally!)...
    The Heel catching thing is irking me actually! I take it nobody else with a Whyte has any similar issues with theirs. Speaking of which would you recommend SPDs or MTB platform pedals for commuting?
    I really liked the look of the Whyte Kings Cross, partially because of the fact that the rear disc caliper is inside the triangle, but when I took one for a test ride I immediately got bad heel strike despite the bike being reasonably well set up for me. That is the number one factor in me not buying it as I imagined having heel strike on every pedal revolution for the life of the bike.

That would be more than irking.

Planet X do some sort of scheme, the Kaffenback is in your price range and do a flat bar version(even though hybrids are the work of the devil and you really should buy a proper drop bar road bike).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    What sort of distance are you doing?
    Depending on distance, a Charge Cooker 3 might be a good option; steel frame/disc brakes.

I know that tarmac MB are not quite as quick, but there are some good upsides.
  • Why Mr. Haggis? Why?

Why flat-bars?

This is your opportunity to become one of the cool kids, get a proper bike now and no longer will you have that nagging upset as people fly past you. You say you want a faster bike, why not get one?
  • Why Mr. Haggis? Why?

Why flat-bars?

This is your opportunity to become one of the cool kids, get a proper bike now and no longer will you have that nagging upset as people fly past you. You say you want a faster bike, why not get one?

Lol, I already have a specialized allez but I don't really like commuting on it since it doesn't take full mudguards nor does it have mounts for a rack. I also prefer flat bars when cycling though busy streets plus I don't feel that the caliper breaks offer enough stopping power when out in heavy traffic.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    The Rookie wrote:
    Just to clarify, a 'flat bar road bike' is a hybrid, a road bike has drops (only).

Check out also the Boardman Hybrids, better specced and/or cheaper than all of those.

LOL, every time I mention cycling at work the bloke who sits next to me says 'yeah, I've got a road bike too, 'cept it's got flat bars cos I don't like those drop handlebars'.

He gets very miffed when I tell him that's not a road bike it's a hybrid :wink:
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:

LOL, every time I mention cycling at work the bloke who sits next to me says 'yeah, I've got a road bike too, 'cept it's got flat bars cos I don't like those drop handlebars'.

He gets very miffed when I tell him that's not a road bike it's a hybrid :wink:

But then equally by that logic you could say a 'road bike' is just a hybrid with drop handlebars :wink:
  • Interestingly I've just noticed that Whyte seem to be tweaking their R7 hybrid range for 2015

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/commuterroa ... horeditch/

I think it might be a sensible move to hold fire on ordering for now. I much prefer the idea of the 1x10 gearing on the above Shoreditch model plus it's £50 less than the Portobello. I guess it also means there's a good chance of picking up the 2014 models on sale soon too.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    But then equally by that logic you could say a 'road bike' is just a hybrid with drop handlebars :wink:
    And a more relaxed, upright frame, generally heftier wheels and often a mix of road and MTB components.
    They're fine of course, but you have a £400 hybrid and want something faster, so why go for a £650 hybrid. There's probably not going to be a significant difference ;)
    Honestly, something like that Tiagra CaadX will be so much nicer, you can ride on the hoods in traffic, then when you want to put the hammer down you'll find you've got something far more able.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless you hate narrow bars and the shifting/braking ergonomics. Many find a wider bar improves control and handling in an urban environment. And far more able is just wishful thinking to be honest, many so call hybrids can be as light, or lighter than 'road' bikes for the money, and ride position can be tweaked quite a lot.

It's all about getting what suits, and often that does mean tweaking. If he doesn't want drops, then so be it, many hate them.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    "Flat bar road bikes" are bikes with flatbars designed to be ridden on road not off road. Eg

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/flat-bar/bi ... egory/list

The label distinguishes them from comfort hybrids, 29ers and other types of hybrid. I wish the drop bar snobs would butt out every time some one asks for advice on buying a flat bar bike. I've just switched from flat bars to CX and like it, but the advantages of drops are way overstated on these forums, especially for commuting. Thats why the Whyte R7s are so popular.
  • I have a road bike (with drops!), a MTB and a hybrid (Revolution Courier Race 2011 which needs replacing!) so have no axe to grind in terms of arguing the benefits of drop bars. I can see the advantages but my commute is only just over 5 miles and partly though busy streets. To be this negates the advantages of drop bars as I don't need multiple hand positions on a <30 minute trip and I never get the opportunity to pick up much speed due to traffic. I realise some people object to the term 'flat bar road bike' but I'd used it to indicate that I wanted a quick-ish narrow tired 700c commuter rather than a more comfort oriented hybrid.

I've actually tried Whyte Charing Cross CX Bike but I personally don't feel they're for me even though I can see why some love them as an alternative to hybrids and tourers. I also had a ride of the Revolution Tourer (Country traveller IIRC) but again it's not really what I'm after.

I'm quite taken by the specs of the Shoreditch (1x10) as after using a 1x8 gearing on my courier I'm sold on the single chainring up front. Comes with a carbon fork too and hydraulic disc brakes are the icing on the cake. Seems like a pretty good price too assuming it's the same lightweight frame as the current R7 range which I'd expect it will be.
  • Incidentally EBC reported back to say they aren't stocking the 2015 model ranges yet. Does anyone know from previous experience when we're likely to see them available to buy/order?
  • The Rookie
    supersonic wrote:
    And far more able is just wishful thinking to be honest, many so call hybrids can be as light, or lighter than 'road' bikes for the money, and ride position can be tweaked quite a lot.
    My commuter has flat bars, 580mm (narrower makes threading traffic easier) which are set low (flipped stem, no spacers and genuinely flat bars), even carrying stuff in my panniers I can average circa 20mph. While weight doesn't have much effect it is fairly light at sub 9.5Kg without rack etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    What about a Cotic Road Rat?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Oh and btw - strictly speaking before you get your torches etc. or rather put them back, as someone pointed out if you follow your own assumptions. A flat bar road bike could and linguistically more likely should be a road bike - ie geometry but with a straight bar. A hybrid has been built with a separate mind set and isn't just a road bike with a flat bar. My mtb with slicks is just that. If I (somehow) put 700 cc wheels on it it would still be a slick mtb. It wouldn't somehow morph into a hybrid. That said I put my knobblies back on it so fcn is now 9... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I've been zooming around on a Sirrus for the past 4 years, and it's great for a hybrid. I do 8 miles each way, each day. But my carbon road bike is just too much better.

I'm off this very evening to check out the Specialized Secteur - the peasant version of the Roubaix - more relaxed geometry etc. That's going to be my future commuter. No racks though :( but I'll live with that.

Point being, the Sirrus is based around the Alliez frame I believe, so it's quite similar. I would highly recommend it. But the flat bars get frustrating, particularly on roads like Embankment when i'd have an extra few mph on a road bike.
  • BigLights wrote:
    I'm off this very evening to check out the Specialized Secteur - the peasant version of the Roubaix - more relaxed geometry etc. That's going to be my future commuter. No racks though :( but I'll live with that.

Wouldn't the lack of fittings for mud guards put you off commuting on one? Having ridden too work a few times in the rain on my Specialized Allez there's no way I'd want to use it as a daily ride in all weathers. I bought SKS race blades but I still find that my legs, feet and face still end up covered in road grime due to the gaps on the wheel they don't cover properly.
  • The Rookie
    Oh and btw - strictly speaking before you get your torches etc. or rather put them back, as someone pointed out if you follow your own assumptions. A flat bar road bike could and linguistically more likely should be a road bike - ie geometry but with a straight bar. D
    Well they are just names, we could call it a harry for it all matters, but it's generally accepted now that a road bike has drops, what, when I was young, we would have called a racing bike, bikes rarely went anywhere but on a road anyway except for them new funny looking BMX things.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    BigLights wrote:
    I've been zooming around on a Sirrus for the past 4 years, and it's great for a hybrid. I do 8 miles each way, each day. But my carbon road bike is just too much better.

Point being, the Sirrus is based around the Alliez frame I believe, so it's quite similar. I would highly recommend it. But the flat bars get frustrating, particularly on roads like Embankment when i'd have an extra few mph on a road bike.

Maybe try bar ends, clip on aeros?