Mega Avalanche budget bike

rong236
rong236 Posts: 56
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
does anyone have any suggestions on a budget bike for the race, I currently ride a Trek Ex8 with 130mm of suspension, and at 16 stone I'm wanting something with a bit more oomph.
I've looked at:
Specialized Big Hit
Kona Coilier
Kona Stinky
Giant Reign

I'm looking to keep the cost down to less than £700

Any ideas or suggestions?
"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood."
-Helen Keller

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Forget the Konas, they blow. Big Hit is a bit ott for the Mega.
    Giant Reign X or Santa Cruz Bullit. Maybe a Marin Quake Quad XLT.
    Specialized Enduros are good but decent, cheap ones can be hard to find. SX Trails can be good.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Coilers might blow compared to some newer stuff available but mine was very good at bombing down a rough hill fast. I paid £400 for it (mint) last year. They can be had cheaper. Id definately consider one if I wanted something to blast down an alp a couple of times and scrap after. You would struggle on any pedally sections though.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My mate's doing it this year on a '08 Kona Coilair

I did it last year on my Trek Session (with 11-34t cassette and dropper post)

This year (I'm doing it again) I do actually have a more suitable bike - see Alpine Thug in my sig

If I were you I'd be inclined to get something that will get use before and after the Mega too and just tweak it/customise it for the race weekend.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rong236
    I might have to spend a little more and push for a Giant Reign, then I might get a bit more use from it afterwards.
    Thanks
    -Helen Keller
  • rockmonkeysc
    Avoid the pre 2010 Reign. They are a bit flexy and twitchy. Also avoid the post 2010 Reign X, the bottom linkage is very fragile (I snapped three). The linkage rate on the Reign X is terrible for riders over 15 stone.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    A quick scoot through the classifieds on Pinkbike reveals within and around your budget:

Specialized Pitch, 2012 Specialized Enduro, SX Trail, Santa Cruz Heckler, Giant Reign, Commencal Meta 5.3 & a Trek Remedy.

Any of those would be fine. I'd probably go for the Enduro out of that lot - it's cheap for what it is, ride it for a week, stick it on Ebay when you get back & you might even get lucky and make a few quid when you get home.
  • rong236
    I'll have a look through pinkbike, it seems a bit cheaper than eBay, my brother in law rides a specialized enduro, he's had it for years and speaks very highly of it.

Thanks for the help.
    -Helen Keller
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Don't get me wrong, Specialized are good and most ride quite nicely
    Just tend to be disappointing spec, £3K bikes coming with an fox evolution shock.. I'd expect kashima at that price
  • rockmonkeysc
    New price and value for money are irrelevant when buying used.
    Specialized do make some very good frames. I would take a Specialized Status over any of the similar priced, high spec German alternatives just because the frame is so good.
  • felix.london
    New price and value for money are irrelevant when buying used

this ^^

I'd always look at Spesh frames/bikes when looking at used just cos there seems to be so many about which I guess keeps the price low and as the man says the frames are solid.

Trek Session 8
  • rong236
    Your right, specialized do seem to be a lit cheaper second hand, I've seen a few pitches for some decent prices.
    -Helen Keller
  • rockmonkeysc
    Pitches are pretty good bikes and ideal as a budget Megavalanche bike.
  • rong236
    With a few upgrades would the Trek EX8 not cope?
    -Helen Keller
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fuel is a bit light and flexy with rear chain stays prone to snapping. I wouldn't.
    130mm suspension is going to destroy your wrists and legs in the Megavalanche. I rode the course on a 140mm stumpjumper and really wished I had something bigger and slacker.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    There's a few blindsided on pinkbike. I've just bought a frame myself off there. Can't rife for two months though, broken collarbone, be somethingg to look forward to
  • felix.london
    rong236 wrote:
    With a few upgrades would the Trek EX8 not cope?

What sort of upgrades? Might 'cope' but not sure it'd be much fun. I'd def say a spec'd 'down' DH/Freeride bike would be more appropriate than a spec'd 'up' XC/Trail bike

(the qualifier is pretty much a full-on DH run with a short climb)

Trek Session 8