Upgrading triban 3 for my youngest son

Madness33
Madness33 Posts: 13
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hi

I'm just in the process of getting my youngest (9) one of the remaining red Triban 3s and wondering what I can do to upgrade a bit. He has been cycling on a Isla Luath24 which is now too small and really liked his friends Triban 3. Hes into circuit racing with a local club and going out riding with me on some quiet roads.

My plan is to sell the Luath to a couple of interested club members and get the Triban with a 45 frame. He's quite small and this bike is comfortable for him.

Now what I would like to do is upgrade the Triban a bit so need some advice.

I was thinking about new 650c wheels and tyres but dont seem to be many cheapish one arounds (lots of expensive carbon tri wheels!). Any suggestions on 650c wheels and tyres?

The other thing I would like to do is upgrade the shifters/some of the groupset. It comes with Shimano 2300 and thumb shifters and so I wondered if its an easy upgrade to the newer Sora (non thumbwheel shifter) or even Tiagra shifters?

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    2300 (Claris) is an 8 speed group.

So you'd need a rear cassette and the shifter and be prepared to use fresh cables.

There shouldn't be any compatibility problem with the hub going from 8 to 9 or 10 speed so you could do it without new wheels. You'll only have to change the derailer if you increase the range of the cassette, but it's a triple so that wont be necessary.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why not just get a Sora bike with better wheels in the first place?
    Do you really want a triple for him anyway?

The wheels are never going to be great but thats the same with most bikes and you are stuck with what 650c ones you can get.

Daughter has a Sora Felt with Miche levers. They seem better levers than Sora ones (and definitely ancient Tiagra) for small hands because they are smaller, having a lever behind brake lever for upshifts, and a button on the outside (not inside like 2300) for downshifts.
  • Madness33
    Madness33 Posts: 13
    Carbonator wrote:
    Why not just get a Sora bike with better wheels in the first place?
    Do you really want a triple for him anyway?

The wheels are never going to be great but thats the same with most bikes and you are stuck with what 650c ones you can get.

Daughter has a Sora Felt with Miche levers. They seem better levers than Sora ones (and definitely ancient Tiagra) for small hands because they are smaller, having a lever behind brake lever for upshifts, and a button on the outside (not inside like 2300) for downshifts.

He's a bit too small for the Felt, I think the smallest they do is a 48 frame, the Triban 3 is really only an interim bike till he gets bigger and then if he's still keen and enjoying it then i'll up the budget a bit more
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Her Felt junior is a 40cm frame.

How much is a T3 plus all the upgrades?