Upgrading pedals

mjf1017
mjf1017 Posts: 48
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
For the past 4 years I've been commuting on my Boardman Hybrid using Shimano MTB pedals. I've recently bought a Giant Defy 1 road bike for sportives and leisure cycling. I'm doing London - Paris this september as well.

Because I was comfortable with them (and had the shoes) I've put mtb pedals on my new road bike, but am now wondering if I should upgrade to a 'proper' pedal like a keo or similar spd pedals.

Any thoughts

Mike

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A "proper" road pedal and cleats may provide more support, but if you are happy with your MTB pedal setup, why change?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Plenty people use Shimano MTB pedals (SPDs) on their road bikes. They seem to get on fine with them. Some will argue that road pedals are more secure, more efficient, more comfortable. Perhaps they are but if so, there's not much in it.
    If you're happy with the SPDs then why change. If you decide you do want to change then you'll need new shoes to accomodate the 3 hole mounting for most road cleats. I'd recommend Speedplay Zeros. I love the free float and find them both very comfortable and easy to clip in/out. However, they are a little expensive. On the other hand basic SPD-SL pedals are pretty cheap.

The choice is yours but there's no need to change if you're happy with the MTB system.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Which MTB pedals have you got?

I originally had Shimano M505 MTB pedals on my road bike and decided to upgrade them but instead of going for road pedals got the best SPD pedals - Shimano M980, they made a real and noticeable difference to the ride, I've been very pleased with them - means you keep the same shoes too.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    SPDs are great on road bikes. They are comfortable and secure, there is a wide variety of pedal choices (single sided, double sided, small platform, large platform, plain platform on one side, etc), cleats are practically bombproof, shoes are easier to walk in...

'Road' branded kit is not more efficient, it does not transfer power better, etc etc etc... Buy the most comfortable shoes first and choose pedals second. Very particular requirements for float will narrow the range considerably.
  • paulleary
    paulleary Posts: 35
    I use shimano m530 pedals on my road bike , find they are great , double sided which makes clipping in a doddle , nice big cage to support foot , and I can walk around safely without looking like a flat footed duck in the cafe without spilling my coffee
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    oxoman wrote:
    Shimano A520 single sided pedals bomb proof. Available for less than £25.

^^^^ great pedals.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have gone to road shoes/pedals fairly recently and just prefer them.
    I have/use both types and would not go back to using MTB's on the road bike now.

If you have the opportunity and do not need MTB walkability, I would say give them a go and make your own mind up.
  • Andy Wilkinson 12 & 24 hr TT champ uses SPD pedals...
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... bike-29431
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Andy Wilkinson 12 & 24 hr TT champ uses SPD pedals...

Looks like the same ones I use, nice.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Andy Wilkinson 12 & 24 hr TT champ uses SPD pedals...
    Imagine how much better he'd be with proper road pedals! :wink:
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    'Road' branded kit is not more efficient, it does not transfer power better, etc etc etc...

Interesting. Can you quote your source?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Ibis2k14
    Ibis2k14 Posts: 25
    I decided to use Speedplay pedals because:

a) Much easier to clip in/out than SPD or SPD-SL (tried both) as long as they're setup properly

b) Can clip out with my leg in any position because not a lot of torque is required. If I suddenly come to a stop due to traffic/people coming out of nowhere and I need to unclip the foot on the wrong side (I mean the side where the leg is completely bent) I can easily due it, while with SPD/SL I find it very hard and not as immediate.

c) A bit of float means that my legs are not stuck in the exact same position for the whole ride.

Too bad they're much more expensive than other systems, but the added safety is a huge bonus for me.
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    I prefer the Shimano A600 SPD pedals. I think they are the lightest, at 286g, and on the loosest setting can allow so much float you almost feel you aren't clipped in!

On my hybrid I have double sided SPD's and it really is not an issue changing from one to the other.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    'Road' branded kit is not more efficient, it does not transfer power better, etc etc etc...

I'd be interested to see a source that says road branded stuff does..
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    For many years, I have used Look pedals. On my new bike, I have tried Exustar pedals. These have proven to be very good so far and best of all, are less than £20 with shoe plates from many Ebay shops.
  • charlie_potatoes
    iPete wrote:

Have you a source Simon or is it just your subjective opinion?
  • simon_masterson
    iPete wrote:

I think he's bored at work again!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    andi1363 wrote:
    For many years, I have used Look pedals. On my new bike, I have tried Exustar pedals. These have proven to be very good so far and best of all, are less than £20 with shoe plates from many Ebay shops.

I've just bought some Exustar cleats to go with my Look pedals, they're interchangable with Look and hopefully harder wearing than the Look cleats that are made out of putty.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • charlie_potatoes
    iPete wrote:

I was only asking a polite question Simon :?

It's fine to have and post a subjective opinion if that's what it is? I'm not necessarily disagreeing but your post read as if it was fact based?
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    chrisgal wrote:
    oxoman wrote:

^^^^ great pedals.

+1 - Brill on my roadie. I use PDM-524s on my mountain bike and these could be equally useful as a single spd/single flat double pedal - useful for when you can't be bothered changing shoes when you get to the other end or putting on SPD shoes just for a run into town..
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • simon_masterson
    iPete wrote:

It's fine to have and post a subjective opinion if that's what it is? I'm not necessarily disagreeing but your post read as if it was fact based?

It's not subjective. Personal preference is subjective. Merely branding something 'road' does not make it make you more powerful or more efficient. The burden of proof is on anyone who says that their product can make you go faster, not the reverse.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    bob6397 wrote:
    chrisgal wrote:
    oxoman wrote:

^^^^ great pedals.

+1 - Brill on my roadie. I use PDM-524s on my mountain bike and these could be equally useful as a single spd/single flat double pedal - useful for when you can't be bothered changing shoes when you get to the other end or putting on SPD shoes just for a run into town..
    I'm after so Wellgo D10s for my MTB, SPD one side, MTB type flat like a DMR V8 on the other, they seem like a better solution than any other half-SPD pedal I've seen.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • charlie_potatoes
    iPete wrote:

It's not subjective. Personal preference is subjective. Merely branding something 'road' does not make it make you more powerful or more efficient. The burden of proof is on anyone who says that their product can make you go faster, not the reverse.

Blimey! You seem a bit tetchy :D

So it is a subjective view then. Thanks for the clarification.
  • mjf1017
    mjf1017 Posts: 48
    Thanks to all for the input. I'm happy as I am on the mtbs so might stick with them for now.
    However, if during the summer I get foot problems or feel I'm not getting enough from them I'll probably upgrade to the A520's.
    Thanks again all.

Mike