Improving my pX Nanolight as a TT bike?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited May 2014 in Your road bikes
px.jpg

Did the Severn RC time trial last night, overtaken by the usual mob on dedicated tt bikes, disk wheels whirling like UFOs and tucked in like they weren't even trying.

I would like to stretch out more - I have clip on TT bars but the pX has some ITM carbon bars which I'm loathe to get rid of, reports suggest that clips ons and carbon shouldn't seen together (but then you do read lots of scare stories about carbon...).

There's only a single 5mm spacer below the stem so not much opportunity for lowering.

The wheels are Model Bs with Michelin Kyrlion clinchers (that are due for retirement).

If I said it boils down to budget (very little) and fitness have I answered my own question?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I had similar issue to you - I use a bog standard Allez though as my Tarmac has carbon bars and I have the same concerns as you do ... I have seen some carbon bars that are clip-on ready ... but probably not worth the expense.

I've just used the clip-on token bars, dropped the stem down as low as it'll go and about to get a new shorter headset cone spacer so I can go down another 10mm or so ... (I've been working down to this and it's comfortable atm)

Looking at your stem - you could change that for an angled down one, ditch the second bottle cage, buy a cheap set of alloy bars & clip-ons (it makes a huge difference honest) then work on getting the saddle in the right place - mine went up and forwards then tilted down a little.
    You then save any remaining budget for new wheels ... oh and a TT helmet ... that helps a lot too...

Your remaining effort should be aimed at improving the engine ... but then you knew that ;)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Get extensions with a design you can undersling the bars, so the pads are as low as possible.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    It completely depends on your budget.

An obvious first step is to get those clip ons fitted. (to some new alu bars if necessary)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    underslung bars and a -17deg or more stem.

also wheels... they can be transferred to any future bike purchase so it's not money wasted.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Planet X do great looking wheels, not too expensive I don't think. I think helmet is one of the main aero saving pieces of equipment though
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Planet X 80s - dirt cheap and work really well.

Carbonzone deep rims as well - look great, roll really well.

Set of tri bars, stem as above.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.