Lost faith in LBS already - bad advice on chain

2»

Comments

• fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I tend to agree with iPete. You can make a fuss and argue until you win on principle and prove your point but that sounds like it'll waste more of your time than fixing the problem yourself. I used to always take my bike to the LBS and over the years paid lots to have routine servicing & maintenance done. I don't think I ever had anyone take the p*ss but the cost still mounted up. This year I decided to build my own bike from parts sourced via the internet using YouTube and Shimano tech docs as reference. I was amazed how straightforward most of it is, I now do my own routine maintenance and some of my mates' as well
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    fatdaz wrote:
    I was amazed how straightforward most of it is, I now do my own routine maintenance and some of my mates' as well
    Everybody who posts threads asking about indexing gears, adjusting brakes, fitting chains or any other aspect of bike maintenance should print this out in 36 point text and pin it over their shaving mirror.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    nuggiebok wrote:
    Needless to say I shall be giving them a call tomorrow!

Don't

You'll only be few another load of crap and get more wound up about it.

Walk away from that shop now. Time to learn a few basics and save yourself some cash and time and worry.

There are loads of videos and tutorials online for bike maintenance, plus there is a Workshop section on here where people are happy to help
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Ringpeace
    Ringpeace Posts: 105
    I am so glad that another person has dared speak out about their LBS - no doubt you have got support because you say you are a girl, and blokes on the internet love that.

I'm sick of people online saying, "support your LBS" as if you're gonna get such better service / go to hell, if you don't.

I have long been an advocate of definitely NOT paying massively inflated prices for shoddy or non existent "service" from your LBS.

I'm very tempted to name and shame the very well rated LBS near me - who have just been a joke with such simple things as front mech and chain changing, but what's the point?

I was so ***ked off with them that I searched Gumtree for mobile mechanics and came up trumps. Comes when I want, charges at least half as much as "my friendly LBS" and just gets on with the jobs. And offers me free, non commission advice.

I have a great relationship with him so much so that he offers me big discounts compared to his standard prices and does a very reasonable hourly rate.

IMO LBS are only for people who can't read or use the internet. I have just bought a new bike for just over £500 - my LBS wanted over £900 for it. I can't afford £400 worth of "friendly advice" - mores the point I'm not too dumb to pay it.

That's a full new groupset fitted from my personal mechanic!

The future is non idiot. The future is online!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @ringpeace... You are very welcome to your opinion. Thank you for the patronising drivel. I can read and I can use the internet. I choose to use my LBS
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    People choose whether to use their LBS or not, dependent on their needs, wealth, capabilities etc. If I had a *good* LBS I would probably use them a lot more.

Now thinking about it, Wyndymilla are not that far away, perhaps I might start visiting them if only to see girlies clad in pink lycra :shock:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava