Specialized allez 2013 or Giant Defy 4 2013

slinkydonkey
slinkydonkey Posts: 27
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello

I am considering getting one of the two I do like specialized as a I have a specialized Camber Mountain Bike.
But when comparing the bikes the GIANT has a carbon front fork but apparently the Specialized has better gears.
Which one do you think is best?

Gaint Defy 4 2013 spec:

Giant Defy 4 2013 compact is a very responsive and fast bike. It was given Bicycling Editors Choice 2013 this year and is made by the worl'ds leading aluminuim frame engineers. With a fluid formed aluminuim frame and carbon forks and backed up with a Shimano 2300 gear set it is a serious piece of kit. Ideal for sportif riding or to be used as a commuter bike the Giant Defy 4 has it all and is very versatile.
Giant Uk also do a triple chainset version of this model : Giant Defy 4 Triple 2013
Upgrades Over the Giant Defy 5:
- Forks : composite with alloy OverDrive steerer

FRAME
Sizes XS, S, M, M/L, L, XL
Colours White/Silver/Grey
Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminium
Fork Advanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer
Shock N/A

COMPONENTS
Handlebar Giant Sport 26.0
Stem Giant Sport 26.0
Seatpost Giant Sport
Saddle Giant Defy saddle
Pedals Wellgo w/ toe clip

DRIVETRAIN
Shifters Shimano 2300
Front Derailleur Shimano 2300
Rear Derailleur Shimano 2300
Brakes Tektro TK-R312 Giant Specific, Dual Pivot
Brake Levers Shimano 2300
Cassette SRAM PG850 11x28, 8s
Chain KMC Z7
Crankset FSA Tempo Compact - 50x34
Bottom Bracket FSA BB-7420ST

WHEELS
Rims Giant S-R2
Hubs Giant 24/28h
Spokes Stainless Steel, 14g
Tires Giant S-R4, 700x25c

Specialized Allez 2013 Spec

Specialized Allez Road Bike Introduction
Stiff, light, race-inspired Allez offers great acceleration and handling - perfect for aspiring racers, or as a winter training bike for more accomplished veterans. Light wheels improve efficiency over any terrain.

Premium double-butted A1 aluminium frame offers unsurpassed quality, durability, and lightweight while featuring our race proven geometry for precise handling.

Specialized A1 alloy fork provides lightweight and predictable steering for maximum enjoyment.

Tough, durable three cross Axis Classic wheel with J bend spokes.

Specialized Comp shallow drop alloy bar for serious performance.

Never miss a critical shift with Shimano 2300 STI shifters.

Supportive BG Riva Road is the perfect combination of comfort and efficiency.

Specification and Features of the Specialized Allez Road Bike
FRAME Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium, fully manipulated tubing with smooth welds, 1-1/8" lower bearing.
FORK Specialized Aluminium fork, alloy steerer and crown, 1-1/8"
HEADSET 1-1/8" sealed Cr-Mo cartridge bearings integrated w/ headset, 20mm alloy cone spacer, w/ 20mm of spacers
STEM Cast alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm
HANDLEBARS Specialized Comp, 6061 alloy, shallow bend TAPE Specialized S-Wrap
FRONT BRAKE Tektro dual-pivot
REAR BRAKE Tektro dual-pivot
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano 2300
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 2300
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano 2300 STI
CASSETTE Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 12-25
CHAIN KMC Z51
CRANKSET Shimano 2300 compact
CHAINRINGS 50/34
BOTTOM BRACKET Sealed cartridge, square taper, 68mm
PEDALS Nylon flat test ride, loose-ball, w/ reflectors
FRONT WHEEL Axis Classic
REAR WHEEL Axis Classic
FRONT TYRE Specialized Espoir Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25c
REAR TYRE Specialized Espoir Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25c
INNER TUBES Standard presta valve
SADDLE Body Geometry Riva Road, Cr-Mo Rails, 143mm
SEATPOST Specialized Sport alloy, 27.2mm
SEAT BINDER Alloy, 31.8mm
NOTES Chainstay protector, derailleur hanger, clear coat, owner's manual
Specialized Allez Road Bike is perfect for
All bikers.

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Either is a nice bike.
    You should really try and test ride them and then decide which you prefer the feel and look of

Matt
  • rapleyr
    rapleyr Posts: 20
    I was considering these two bikes a few weeks ago but in the end went for a Merida Ride Alloy 90. i am no expert (by a long way) as i have only been riding for a few weeks and done around 150 miles but it has so far been really good to ride. my LBS offers all the above bikes and they recommended the Merida to me.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I'd also say that you should try them both out and see which one you prefer. The carbon forks would probably sway me towards the Giant, but I know the Allez is a quality race grade frame. The alloy forks may not be as bad as you think- I have full alloy forks on my current road machine and it's far from harsh, whereas my TT bike has carbon forks that are incredibly stiff and harsh over bumps.

How it's designed and made is much more important than what it's made of.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    The gears are exactly the same except for the rear cassette which goes up to 28 teeth on the Giant compared to 25 on the Specialized. You'd be happy with either to be honest but I had a defy 4 and loved it. For me, though, the shallow drop handlebars on the Allez would have been more comfy (I eventually swapped the Giant's for a set of shallow drop bars). Carbon fork on the Giant is very nice and certainly added to the comfort level.

If they're the same price, try to ride them both or failing that, toss a coin!
  • Yep im going take them both for a test ride !
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Looks like you're getting a Carbon fork on the Giant, the Specialized has a Alloy fork on the base model.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013