Knock a cyclist of his bike and....

kurako
kurako Posts: 1,098
edited May 2014 in Commuting chat
.. 5 points for failure to stop and a paltry fine.

Now the standard of reporting in the local paper leaves a lot to be desired but from the description this is kind of shocking but not surprising. "He then drove his car towards the cyclist, knocking him off his bike and driving off."

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... mond_Park/

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    It has been said before.

If you intend on doing someone an injury, use a car as the weapon.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    A motorist who knocked a cyclist off his bike in Richmond Park has been fined more than £600 and hit with penalty points.
    they make it sound like this was harsh punishment. the driver got off very lightly imho
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    fat_tail wrote:
    A motorist who knocked a cyclist off his bike in Richmond Park has been fined more than £600 and hit with penalty points.
    they make it sound like this was harsh punishment. the driver got off very lightly imho
    Yet they make it quite clear that he deliberately drove at the guy.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    how is that NOT dangerous driving?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Driving which falls well below the standard reasonably expected - yup, it's that alright!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:
    Yet they make it quite clear that he deliberately drove at the guy.

If it's only him and well him, may be difficult to prove, is the only thing I can think of.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,535
    He got the 5 points for failure to stop.
    Running the cyclist over only cost him £100, bargain if you're too scared to square up to someone you don't like.
  • 5 points isn't bad actually. The driver that ran me over was looking at her Sat Nav when she pulled out straight into me. She told the policeman that at the scene too.

Police investigated and she got NFA - No Further Action.
    I asked why when she admitted Driving without Due Care and Attention and I was told although she did admit it at the scene (in a signed statement!) she could always change her story in court so it wasn't worth the risk and if I didn't like it I could always complain to my local MP!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    monkimark wrote:
    He got the 5 points for failure to stop.
    Running the cyclist over only cost him £100, bargain if you're too scared to square up to someone you don't like.
    Read the sentencing guidelines, offences arising from the same incident are usually only punished for the set of points awarded for the worst offence, in this case the failure to stop.

Of course the reporting will be 100% accurate so we KNOW the driver intended to knock the cyclist off......I suspect that as the magistrates didn't even award the maximum 6 points for the DWDCA (careless driving) let alone consider dangerous driving (statutory alternative) then the information presented in court wasn't quite as cut and dried.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.