Grr. Ultegra gears. Grr

macca_andy
macca_andy Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have purchased a new bike back in Jan and I've done about 500 miles on it so far. The problem is, the rear cogs keep clicking when I change gear. I've tried re-indexing them, but it only lasts about one ride before I have to re-index them again. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with the gears? Any advice would be helpful.

Andy

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Macca_andy wrote:
    Hi,

I have purchased a new bike back in Jan and I've done about 500 miles on it so far. The problem is, the rear cogs keep clicking when I change gear. I've tried re-indexing them, but it only lasts about one ride before I have to re-index them again. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with the gears? Any advice would be helpful.

Andy
    Andy, what do you mean clicking, as it would normally click into a new gear? Could it be clicking after you go into a lower gear? If so, it may be that the jockey wheel is too near the cassette when in the largest rear cog. This can be adjusted by the B-tension screw, I think its called, on the rear derailleur.
  • macca_andy
    It's around the middle two gears that I generally get the issue, it won't click into gear when changing up from about the 3rd gear to the 4th gear (I.e. Making it harder). Would that still suggest your points?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Have a look at this, sounds as though your gears need re-indexing, pay attention to the set up section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPLiW-0zLa4
  • macca_andy
    Thanks for the responses. I'll take another look and see what's going on. Just seems strange that it works fine for a ride or two, then goes funny again.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Check that the inner cable is not starting to fray and that it is clean, particularly the loop from the chainstay to the RD.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If they're not working like new gears, make them like new gears again. Take the cables out, drip some oil down the outers, clean the guide under the BB, clean the front & rear mechs back to showroom condition, then re-assemble it all. If the inners look a bit manky either clean them with oily wipes or replace them altho 500 miles is barely run-in. And check that the barrel adjusters aren't at the end of their travel and are no longer engaging the thread, making any adjustment largely meaningless.

There's a decent half hour waiting to be well-spent.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    The problem is you've indexed them, take it to a bike shop

Everyone's a bloody expert nowadays

*bit harsh, Soz xxx
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    If it's just a bit of cable stretch from new you should be able to tweak the barrel adjusters on the cable between shifter and frame on the fly. A 1/4 turn at a time and it'll eventually settle. If that doesn't work there are a few things that could cause problems from those that have been mentioned to things like an out of alignment mech hanger. Take it down to a shop with a reputation for a great workshop if you're not confident. Ultegra should work pretty flawlessly.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Pnev wrote:

*bit harsh, Soz xxx
    Indexing gears doesn't require an expert. I've done mine several times over the past few years and always been happy with the result. It's one of the jobs that it's perfectly feasible to take on yourself.

When you say "Everyone's a bloody expert nowadays" it sounds like you think people doing things themselves is a new phenomenon. I'll bet people go to the bike shop for maintenance more often now than they ever did in the past! :roll:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ultegra is usually brilliant.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I have always had problems like this and managed to get them working correctly again even after 3000 miles use. My usual cure is to get the chain VERY clean and totally free from sh** etc.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Marcusww wrote:
    I have always had problems like this and managed to get them working correctly again even after 3000 miles use. My usual cure is to get the chain VERY clean and totally free from sh** etc.

This makes a big difference in my experience.
  • CiB
    Pnev wrote:

*bit harsh, Soz xxx
    Quite. I often take my shoes back to the shop to have the laces done up for me, and I haven't been able to play my guitar since the music shop closed and it went out of tune again...</joke>

Indexing gears is as normal as blowing your tyres up - needs doing from time to time, takes no special skill just an awareness of what goes where. People paying an LBS to be without their bikes for a day or two to get the gears indexed is madness on stilts tbh. IMHO obviously.

OP - clean it, oil it, set it up. It's a trivial exercise.
  • ai_1
    Precisely^^^
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    CiB wrote:
    Pnev wrote:

*bit harsh, Soz xxx
    Quite. I often take my shoes back to the shop to have the laces done up for me, and I haven't been able to play my guitar since the music shop closed and it went out of tune again...</joke>

Indexing gears is as normal as blowing your tyres up - needs doing from time to time, takes no special skill just an awareness of what goes where. People paying an LBS to be without their bikes for a day or two to get the gears indexed is madness on stilts tbh. IMHO obviously.

No you're right, this guys having great success, so carry on doing your thing and keep them gears shifting beautifully.
  • ai_1
    Pnev wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Pnev wrote:

*bit harsh, Soz xxx

No you're right, this guys having great success, so carry on doing your thing and keep them gears shifting beautifully.
    So although indexing gears is a pretty easy task once you do it a couple of times you think it's not worth learning, he should just go to a LBS and we're all fools for suggesting otherwise?
    I think CiB's analogy is about right and you just think learning to tie your laces is for suckers
  • CiB
    Pnev wrote:
    Well if you'd read my post you'd have noticed my suggestions included take the cables out, clean & oil them, clean the guides etc. If he's indexed it and it doesn't stay indexed it needs a bit more attention, obviously.

Indexing gears is trivial - your original response was to blame OP with the phrase "you've indexed them, take it to a bike shop", as if gears are beyond mortal man and only the highly trained technicians in a cycle outlet can fix them. Call me jaundiced if you like but I base my experience of paid-for bike servicing on what I've seen the semi-trained baboons at the shop that rhymes with Heavens doing, and to be frank if I didn't think I could do a better job than them with a blindfold and one arm tied behind my back I'd go and live in a cave somewhere instead. There are good bike techies in shops and sometimes they have the gear that does the job - Di2 interrogation s/w for example, but as there's nothing on a bike that's so complex that it couldn't be explained to 10 year old, giving in at the first hurdle and paying someone else to do it is a non-starter. Always. A set of Allen Keys, a few spanners & a screwdriver for the limit screws pretty much does the job. And DIY has the added benefit of being right, safer, and more satisfying. And free.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm also having some problems with my Ultegra shifter -> 105 mech.

It doesn't seem to like single shifting up the cassette - had a play around last night and watched the mech as I clicked up - it didn't move until I clicked again - simple answer is there's not enough cable tension to shift the mech so either the cable is being snagged or the mech is too dirty.
    No amount of fiddling about with the adjusters would fix that.

Had a further play this morning - removed the chain & disconnected the rear mech. I've added a bit of lube to the pivot points and left it.
    The cable was new in Jan and it's done <1000 miles so I don't think the cable is at fault, however, the outers have done 2000 miles in my ownership. I've moved the bottom outer (by the mech) up the cable and the cable is still clean, so wiped and added some teflon lube. Testing the cable movement with it back in place (but not connected to the mech) there is still something snagging - but it doesn't when holding onto the cable on the downtube - so next will be to check the bottom bracket cable guide.

As CiB says - remove everything, clean and lube then replace - it's usually dirt that causes the problems so remove the dirt first!