Cyclists killed at Elephant and Castle

anonymousblackfg
anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
edited May 2014 in Commuting chat
As Borris says, 'perfectly fine as long as you keep your wits about you'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/c ... 64511.html

Fecking grim and utterly unessesary.
If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    RIP. Every time I see E&C I think how unsafe it is in a car, let alone on a bike.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    RIP fella.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    RIP - poor family :(

Nearly got taken out by an idiot today on Coldhams lane myself.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    This junction is part of my daily commute, passed the scene about 10mins after it happened, could see the road bike on the ground, only the seat was at an angle, rest of the bike looked intact. Very sad for the poor man and his family, RIP.

The article mentions a HGV was involved, so I am making an assumption it is the one to the left of this pic heading towards Oval/Kennington.

(Just to say this pic is being used on a number of news sites, if it offends I will remove it)

cyvclsitEampC_zps5ef6b07b.jpg
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    RIP
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    RIP - very grim.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    jesus when will they do something to protect cyclists from these totally unsuitable city vehicles

RIP
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Love and regards to friends and family
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    Another HGV collision on Thames St this eve

https://www.lfgss.com/thread127072.html
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • itboffin
    FFS this is getting out of control now, this morning coming along the cut from Waterloo I/we had a construction truck so wide it blocked both lanes, how is that suitable for London?

We need a ban on these vehicles during the rush hours at the very least, its just stupid
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    itboffin wrote:
    FFS this is getting out of control now, this morning coming along the cut from Waterloo I/we had a construction truck so wide it blocked both lanes, how is that suitable for London?

We need a ban on these vehicles during the rush hours at the very least, its just stupid
    Completely agree with this. RIP, and condolences to all that knew him.
  • itboffin
    Not wanting to thread hijack but seriously city traffic control is totally out of control if you get my meaning, my son was knocked off his motorbike a few weeks ago and now faces the very real possibility of losing one leg and total loss of use of the other, thank god he's alive but really our cities just aren't safe for two wheels.

Sadly i think there's nothing we can do to change this
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    It's been a grim couple of days. This morning a motorbike was knocked off in Wandsworth on my way into work...fella was trapped and getting burned so we had to lift it off him.

Be safe.
  • anonymousblackfg
    It is getting mad, on CS7 this morning a 3 axel flatbed just swung left at a pinch point leaving at best 3 inches of space. Thankfully I slowed and just watched it happen but few would have thought to do similar and just got crushed.

But seeing that other thread of someone knocking a cyclist off deliberately and driving off to only get 5 points and £625 in fines just proves no one cares in the slightest.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • gabriel959
    itboffin wrote:
    Not wanting to thread hijack but seriously city traffic control is totally out of control if you get my meaning, my son was knocked off his motorbike a few weeks ago and now faces the very real possibility of losing one leg and total loss of use of the other, thank god he's alive but really our cities just aren't safe for two wheels.

I am really sorry to hear this mate, I hope he is ok :(
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    Talius wrote:
    Another HGV collision on Thames St this eve

https://www.lfgss.com/thread127072.html

Apparently he is "ok" according to that thread
    hambardonor - He's alive and kicking. This is my mate Bart. His shoulder is pretty screwed, but should be up and walking soon.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Completely agree with this. RIP, and condolences to all that knew him.

Indeed, a vehicle with such poor visibility, and frankly that road network in that area are awful, hope Boff's son does well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    fat_tail wrote:
    Which would be standard practice at any fatal regardless of fault or culpability, so the fact he was arrested is in itself meaningless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Bloody hell.

In any other walk of life, this level of regular danger would be considered criminal, surely?. I can't help but come to the conclusion that long-established cities and lorries are a terrible mix.

RIP to the rider, and the very best of luck to ITB's son.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gabriel959
    you guys should move to Cambridge, it is a lot better than this crap.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    itboffin wrote:

Awful, sympathy and fingers crossed for him and you
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    gabriel959 wrote:
    you guys should move to Cambridge, it is a lot better than this crap.

It is. But the number of cyclists on the road is insane at the moment, and 60% of them seem to have absolutely no regard for any of the laws of the road.

Still, i'd rather smash into a hipster student on a fixie, jumping a red light while reading his twitter account than an HGV travelling at 30 mph round Elephant and Castle.
  • anonymousblackfg
    I think numbers will massively balloon in the next couple of days as people realise the rain is over, I was in a bunch of 40+ on CS7 this morning.
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    The Rookie wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:
    Which would be standard practice at any fatal regardless of fault or culpability, so the fact he was arrested is in itself meaningless.

That is incorrect I'm afraid. There would have to be some evidence of fault with the manner of driving.
  • itboffin
    Thanks all he's doing well after last nights op, he has another one on Sunday to straighten some of the sets.

I've no doubt he's as stubborn as me which goes a long way mentally in these situations.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Pleased to hear he's on the mend Boff, would have pm'd you but the system is still fubar. Mental attitude counts for a hell of a lot at times like this. Hope he heals well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    steve6690 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

That is incorrect I'm afraid. There would have to be some evidence of fault with the manner of driving.
    Like just being involved in a fatal accident?

It's certainly close to 100% that the driver will be arrested. Any questioning is then far better protected as evidence.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin
    More thread hijacking but hey

Well things are looking good considering what it could have been, his legs are really fucked up but working in that he can move both feet has manageable pain and is shooting around the rather nice clean quiet hospital in his wheelchair, and with any luck his might be able to begin physiotherapy and walking in 3 months or so.

He's already planning a rerun of his 21st birthday, seems a hospital room wasn't good enough.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    More thread hijacking but hey

Well things are looking good considering what it could have been, his legs are really farked up but working in that he can move both feet has manageable pain and is shooting around the rather nice clean quiet hospital in his wheelchair, and with any luck his might be able to begin physiotherapy and walking in 3 months or so.

He's already planning a rerun of his 21st birthday, seems a hospital room wasn't good enough.

Glad he's getting better, sure it's a long road but sounds like a can do young man, who will do.