Austrian Danube ride

TimS996
TimS996 Posts: 12
edited May 2014 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning my first long bike ride, this last week of May, doing the Danube Way through Austria from Passau to Vienna.

I've got a old Townsend 18 speed MTB that I'm going to use, with a few extras bolted on for comfort. Hopefully load some pics soon. I've picked this route because it's a beautiful scenic ride and I've visited the area a lot before but never had the chance to cycle this far. I'm giving myself 5 days to do about 365km, or a bit less if I don't go all the way to the Austrian border.

I picked up the bike off Ebay last year and have given it a bit of an upgrade replacing the plastic brakes with better metal Tektro ones and improving the gear shifts. I need to source some tyres though as the ones on it are basic knobblies and a bit worn. I've added wider bars to the bike for comfort and need to source a rack and panniers to hold the basics for a week, as I will be stopping at guest houses along the way. At 43, camping doesn't appeal quite as much as it used to!

Any advice from anyone who has done this route and for a new tourer much appreciated.

Comments

• mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    we did Ulm to Vienna a few years ago (about twice the difference) and thoroughly enjoy it. You see all kinds of people doing this route, from hardened tourers who have been on the road for years, to pensioners with a single pannier, to kids on their first overnight adventure with tent and sleeping bag.

As far as guest houses go, we saw "zimmer frei" notices all over the place so i don't think there's any need to plan in advance, except for if you want to stay in Passau or Vienna. One thing I would say is keep plenty of cash with you. In smaller villages, there aren't many cash machines around and the Penzions can be cash only. We were camping and on one occasions we didn't have enough cash to pay for the campsite we'd planned on stopping at, so we were faced with 10km round trip back to the last town, or carry on 20km to the next town where there was also a campsite.

I'd go with slick tyres for your mountain bike. It's almost entirely paved cycle path the entire way.

don't know if you already have a guide, but this book is excellent:
    http://www.sustrans.org.uk/shop/route-m ... ian-danube

Not sure that you really need it though, i remember the signing being excellent, except for one section. It only took a few km's before we realised we'd gone wrong though.
  • TimS996
    Thanks for the advice. I've just picked up the book and it's just what I need. Good to hear the accommodation is ok. I was wondering whether to book each night but I don't think I need to worry.

Did a training run today, just over 30km and a bit saddle sore. I think I need a gel saddle rather than a hard mountain bike one.
  • andrewleck
    andrewleck Posts: 45
    TimS996 wrote:
    I think I need a gel saddle rather than a hard mountain bike one.

No No and thrice No, padded undercrackers or padded shorts are the only way to go for long hours in the saddle' :D
  • TimS996
    Well I've got the padded shorts, I'll see how I get on. Three days and counting.