Oakley lenses

BillyImp
BillyImp Posts: 130
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I bought some Oakley Radar Pitch sunglasses today (bit of an impulse buy!) and they came with the grey lens fitted which is great for the bright sun but I was after a pair of Oakley's because of the massive range of interchangeable lenses. But now I'm a bit lost in a world with 10s of different coloured lenses to buy :? :? So I'm after lenses for cloudy, darker conditions and some night riding, which would work best?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    All you need are the photochromics.
  • Flasher wrote:

I have some Spiuk photochromatic glasses, and tbh I am a bit disappointed in the range; not really dark enough for bright summer sunshine, but don't go totally clear when the light's fading at dusk either. I have assumed this is a characteristic of all such lenses, but are Oakleys better in this respect? Is it worth paying the premium price? Anyone got some Oakley photochromatics?
  • flasher
    Flasher wrote:
    Anyone got some Oakley photochromatics?

Yes, Radar Locks and they go from clear to pretty dark, really all you need in the UK, but of course I have other lenses too :oops:
  • Thanks, been wondering for a while whether to splash out on some of those. If they're going to go significantly darker than my Spiuk ones it sounds like they're what I'm after.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    You either want photochromics or the yellow low light lenses.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • flasher
    Thanks, been wondering for a while whether to splash out on some of those. If they're going to go significantly darker than my Spiuk ones it sounds like they're what I'm after.

Try before you buy, I'd hate to be responsible for you blowing your cash.
  • BillyImp
    Photocromic lenses are coming up at £110+, unless anyone can point me in the direction of something cheaper? Yellow is probably what I'm after but like the idea of being able to leave the photocromic on.... :|
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    G30 Iridium are very good for flat to medium light. Not tried them at night, but can't see them being a problem.
  • I've got some Oakley photochromic lenses. They are fine for low light days but not bright sunshine.

They just don't go dark enough and won't filter out the glare. I now ride Polarised Red Iridium lenses which work well most of the time - rain or shine.

Go on the Oakley website and check out the lens demo's to get a better idea of which lenses suit - better still if you can get into an Oakley store they have a machine which demo's the different lens options
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can check out the Walleva lenses too. £40 for photochromics on ebay.

I usually go with an amber lens in one pair of oakleys for when it looks average.
    Silver iridium for sunny days.
    Yellow lens for night riding or really dull winter days.

At some point in a days riding you're bound to get the lens and conditions matching...
  • BillyImp
    Cheers for the replies, think I'm going to go for the yellow lenses just because they're so much cheaper over the photocromics and just swap the lenses over to match the conditions. Anyone carry different lenses with them on a ride i.e. a late evening ride in the sun use the grey lenses and then swap the yellow ones in as it starts to get darker?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never bothered with two sets of lenses. Even on long rides. Not worth the hassle I reckon.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    BillyImp wrote:
    Cheers for the replies, think I'm going to go for the yellow lenses just because they're so much cheaper over the photocromics and just swap the lenses over to match the conditions. Anyone carry different lenses with them on a ride i.e. a late evening ride in the sun use the grey lenses and then swap the yellow ones in as it starts to get darker?

Yeah, I used to when commuting. I could be heading out in bright sunlight and returning in the dark. Carrying spare lenses and swapping them is a piece of cake. I discovered I didn't like yellow lenses. To me they just feel weird and give me a kind of spaced out feeling. I've since gone for clear for low light conditions and am very happy.
  • Hals1967
    Hals1967 Posts: 231
    cougie wrote:
    You can check out the Walleva lenses too. £40 for photochromics on ebay.
    I use the Walleva Photochromics in my Jawbones, can't fault them.

1967 Engine
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    I love the Polarised OO Red Iridium lenses. Rose base so they are contrast enhancing, but they're not OTT. Great on the bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Photochromic's and Polarised Red Iridium cover all eventualities IMO.
    The lock comes in handy for switching them too :wink:

Most of the time I just use the photochromic's, which I love, then if its v sunny the Red Iridiums come out.
  • flycop2000
    flycop2000 Posts: 55
    I bought Oakley Photochromic replacement lenses from Cycle store last summer for £80. shop around and I'm sure you will find them for less than £110? :D