Hiring bikes abroad

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,218
edited May 2014 in Road general
What's the general consensus about hiring?

Going to Italy in October with the lads for three days of riding, do we stump up the £100 flight handling + hire of a bike bag and a bigger car or pick some up over there (about 50e per day) and suffer the minor niggles of a different bike?

Biggest ride will be around 120 miles so they need to be right, not that mines 100% as I get a bit of back ache on long climbs.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Do a search online for bike hire in the place you are going and the price and availability may make the decision for you.
    i.e Majorca in September you can hire a decent bike for a week for £70 the same price as Easyjet charge to carry one both ways, therefore no extra charge and none of the hassle. In the Alps it can be 200 Euros for a week.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've hired bikes three times in the Canaries. Under £30 per day for decent carbon bikes with Ultegra groupsets. On each occasion I booked the bikes in advance and asked the hire company what models and sizes they had available so i could check the geometry for myself. I've had 3 different bikes and all worked out well. I did bring a set of measurements from my own bike to allow quick and easy tweaking and brought my own saddle just in case I didn't like the one supplied. I had no problems and it was easier and probably cheaper, than bringing my own. If you were going to be there a while the cost might swing back in favour of bringing your own but for just 3 days hiring will be cheaper.
    Unless you specifically want to ride your own bike I'd say hire one. It's just less hassle.