Saturday 17th May- Pootle out to Friday Street (via hills)

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited May 2014 in Commuting chat
One for the West London lot. I am planning on riding out to Friday Street from Raynes Park on Saturday. If anyone wishes to join me then we could meet outside the Starbucks by Raynes Park Station at 10.30. I am planning on a nice lunch somewhere between Peaslake and Leith Hill and may also stop at the top of Box Hill for a cup of coffee and a slice of cake. I may also have a poke around the bike shop in Westhumble as I have not seen it before!

If no one wants to join me then I will go on my own!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4406293?p ... l4E78eajbP
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Can't do this week as I've got an electrician coming to give me a hand with some stuff on Saturday. There's a good chance he won't show which would be irritating. But I can't really complain as he's doing it for free.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Can't do this week as I've got an electrician coming to give me a hand with some stuff on Saturday. There's a good chance he won't show which would be irritating. But I can't really complain as he's doing it for free.

You can't complain if he is good and free. Well not too much anyway... ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • veronese68
    Exactly, gift horse, mouth and all that. I really do need to start doing some longer rides though, and I liked the sound of a pootle.
    Must sign up to the Ditchling Devil. I think I have a pass for the day.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Exactly, gift horse, mouth and all that. I really do need to start doing some longer rides though, and I liked the sound of a pootle.
    Must sign up to the Ditchling Devil. I think I have a pass for the day.

I am signed up for the Devil, looks great and starts 5 minutes cycle from home. There are not many (or really any other!) Audaxes that are so convenient!
    RIP commute...
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    I'd be up for that ride, if you don't mind. I wouldn't mind getting some distance in for the RideLondon. My pace isn't brilliant, but if you're pootling, I think I'll be ok.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    leeefm wrote:
    I'd be up for that ride, if you don't mind. I wouldn't mind getting some distance in for the RideLondon. My pace isn't brilliant, but if you're pootling, I think I'll be ok.

As long as you don't mind stopping for cake and dawdling (as well as moaning about hills) you are more than welcome!
    RIP commute...
  • leeefm
    No worries on the cake. I think I'll need the energy for the hills to be honest!
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    Cool. Will be on my black Italia at Starbucks at 10.30. What will you be riding? My name is Jim by the way!

The more the merrier if others want to join!
    RIP commute...
  • leeefm
    I'm Lee and I'll be on my dark grey Shand skinnymalinky. I'll be coming on the train from Shepperton. I think I'll keep those miles in my legs ;)
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    I will try not to be too jealous of your bike!
    RIP commute...
  • It's Coldharbour Village fete on Saturday too (top of Leith Hill round the corner from Friday Street) pop in for a cake, it's a handy location to refuel after doing the hill!

& have you ridden that route before? The road you've plotted around miles 59 - 61 isn't a road like google maps makes out, it's basically a bridle way / footpath that goes up past Leith Hill Tower, in case you didn't realise! If the weather is good it might be ridable, but maybe not on a nice road bike. Nice views up there though!
  • menthel
    It's Coldharbour Village fete on Saturday too (top of Leith Hill round the corner from Friday Street) pop in for a cake, it's a handy location to refuel after doing the hill!

& have you ridden that route before? The road you've plotted around miles 59 - 61 isn't a road like google maps makes out, it's basically a bridle way / footpath that goes up past Leith Hill Tower, in case you didn't realise! If the weather is good it might be ridable, but maybe not on a nice road bike. Nice views up there though!

Thanks for that, I haven't been to leith hill in years, will amend to follow the road!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    It even saved 2m of climbing, hooray!
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    Had I been going that would have been the bit that would give me and my cross bike an advantage.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Had I been going that would have been the bit that would give me and my cross bike an advantage.

I am not sure any advantage will be needed with me grovelling up the hills!
    RIP commute...
  • leeefm
    Phew... didn't fancy going off piste, as it were. Nice spot and a bonus -2m!
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Would be tempted, but doing The Big Green Bike Ride for Friends of the Earth on Saturday, down to the New Forrest.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • menthel
    Any more for this cake extravaganza? :)
    RIP commute...
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Sorely tempted, but I think the weekend's a bit too busy and my general state of fitness militates against - ashamed to say I haven't done a 100km ride since last summer. That Ditchling Devil looks good too - I'll have to do that next year!
  • veronese68
    Just sent the electrician a message to check he is still coming tomorrow, I hope he cancels.
    You should do this another time, but check my availability first. ;-)
    Enjoy.
  • menthel
    Ian.B wrote:
    Sorely tempted, but I think the weekend's a bit too busy and my general state of fitness militates against - ashamed to say I haven't done a 100km ride since last summer. That Ditchling Devil looks good too - I'll have to do that next year!

We won't be going quickly... ;)
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Just sent the electrician a message to check he is still coming tomorrow, I hope he cancels.
    Enjoy.

If he cancels you know where and when we are meeting. :)

I do think some SCR tours of the hills (with cake/beer stops) should be organised though. Perhaps a thread is in order...
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    menthel wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Enjoy.

If he cancels you know where and when we are meeting. :)

I do think some SCR tours of the hills (with cake/beer stops) should be organised though. Perhaps a thread is in order...
    Unfortunately he has confirmed he's coming in the morning. But yes, we should try to do it more regularly.
  • menthel
    This pootle has hills! Now at the top of Box Hill with Lee, so all the big stuff is done.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    A great cycle with Lee, good to meet you. I don't think I will be getting placenti rims for my next set of wheels though... ;)

Just going to eat my weight in Korean food now. Those hills have made me hungry.
    RIP commute...
  • leeefm
    Finally just got to sit down... The recovery begins. Excellent ride, good to meet you too; the rims roll lovely, but yeah, not the easiest to get tyres on :oops:

Would love to do it again sometime too, thanks for organising the route and everything :)
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    Agreed, would be good to get more rides organised.

http://www.strava.com/activities/142283155
    RIP commute...