The Kiss Heard Round The World

Akirasho
Akirasho Posts: 1,892
edited May 2014 in The cake stop
... dunno how this plays out in the UK since you guys have NO idea of what football is, but this is huge in the world of professional sports in the US and prolly around the world...

Until recently, it's been an "inconvenient truth" of the pro sporting world... that in any given population, you're going to have people with varied sexual orientations... and in US football, the most manly of sports in the world (OK, I'll admit that Australian Rules Football may actually be the most manly outside of the US), this will take a few mini minds a while to grapple with (a handful of players have come out in retirement and there is currently, to my knowledge, only one basketball player in the NBA that is openly gay... baseball doesn't count because they're all gay and cycling doesn't count because all that riding causes their naughty bits to fall off).

http://youtu.be/vclSxXqNSTo

What say ye?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Rugby and ice hockey are also more manly than "football".

And "football" hardly registers in the sporting World outside of the U.S.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Emmm.... Admittedly american football is fairly rough, but to claim it's "the most manly of games in the world" is a bit of a stretch!
    I'd probably put rugby ahead of it and maybe Aussie rules, Hurling, Ice Hockey and some forms of martial arts, boxing and wrestling.... I'm sure there's plenty others....
    Of course it also depends on your definition of manly! Women take part in some or all of these sports too but they're still tough, physically demanding and potentially dangerous sports. Of course many of these sports are not widespread as mainstream sports internationally, including american football. Correct me if I'm wrong, which is possible, but isn't the Superbowl the pinnacle of american football and isn't it a club competition within the USA. It's really a regional sport (as is baseball) and is only considered important in a few places outside the USA. So given the USA only constitutes less than 4.5% of the worlds population - let's not overstate it's relevance! :D
    There are all sorts of regional sports all over the world, many of which none of us in the west is likely to have ever heard of, that could probably make a strong claim at being the most manly!

but I digress...... it's good news if guys in tough sports are coming out and undermining the prejudices around sexuality. Though in my opinion it would be better if no-one cared one way or the other what someone elses sexuality was in the first place!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I found it somewhat hypocritial that the black NFL player, after the recent NBA comments decided to take to twitter to denounce the recent outing of the NFL player.
  • Akirasho
    coriordan wrote:
    I found it somewhat hypocritial that the black NFL player, after the recent NBA comments decided to take to twitter to denounce the recent outing of the NFL player.

... kinda like how a black player can use the "N" word but not a white player?

Yep, homophobia seems relatively rampant amongst these more manly endeavors (prolly because of latent feelings.. that stare in the lockerroom shower that went on a tad too long... that butt pat that felt better than it should). It begs the Q of just how serious the leagues may get on homophobic remarks (one player has already received a modest fine (like a parking ticket) but nothing like what happened to Donald Sterling).
  • Anonymous
    Not quite the same analogy but given how coloured people used to be marginalised and the outrage at the NBA team owners comments essentially saying that he doesn't like black people and they are essentially purely for entertainment purposes only, for him to say something which intends to marginalise homosexuals is somewhat hypocritical.

I wonder what he would have said if a white person said 'gross' when blacks were first allowed to play/play with whites. That said, the response from his team was quite encouraging.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658
    Go look up Ian Roberts. Australian rugby league player. 6'5" tall, 245lb prop. Gay, publicly confirmed 1995 but known long before that.

Gay footballer is nothing new. What I do find odd is the lack of any gay pro golfers?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Anonymous
    His caddy would never want to handle his club handles again......
  • Akirasho
    Go look up Ian Roberts. Australian rugby league player. 6'5" tall, 245lb prop. Gay, publicly confirmed 1995 but known long before that.

Gay footballer is nothing new. What I do find odd is the lack of any gay pro golfers?

... don't be silly. all golf is gay << ducks and hides >>
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Do you have any openly lesbian beach volleyball players over there that have just been "drafted"?
  • Akirasho
    Do you have any openly lesbian beach volleyball players over there that have just been "drafted"?

This... is every straight man's fantasy. I don't know of any but know what I'll be doing with Google for the rest of the day.

((resists the urge to post a bottom bracket photo in cake))