Crankshaft upgrade

philsalliss
philsalliss Posts: 175
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi I've got a cube paelton pro road bike which is a Tiagra groupset and am looking at upgrading the crankshaft to a ultegra or dura ace one. The main reason is the Tiagra one just looks a bit naff and I personally feel let's the look of the bike down. Sad I know,

Anyway it's a compact 50/34. So can I just simple replace it with a like for like crankshaft or doesn't it not matter if the sizing is differnence?

Thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    you can swap Tiagra/105/Ultegra/DuaAce cranks with impunity ... although if it's HT2 BB then it's cheap enough to replace that at the same time ...
    You can go for a 39/5x if you want - just need a couple more links in the chain and the front mech lifting (usually)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Yes, 105, Ultegra or Dura Ace HollowTech II (2) will be a straight swop as long as you stick to 50/34T compact, you won't need to reposition the FD, and with a bit of luck you might get away without having to fine tune the FD operation.

I have recently done this change on my own bike. You might need a rubber mallet to tap the axle out of the BB once you have removed the NDS crank arm, if it does not push out easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPX8Hv3Pjk0
  • philsalliss
    viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12968878

Would this one fit? Thanks for all info. I'm guessing I wouldn't get any extra benefit but upgrading would I other than the looks and some weight saving
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yup
  • philsalliss
    Which question was the yup too? Apologies for question but what difference would it make that it's not a 50/34
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Which question was the yup too? Apologies for question but what difference would it make that it's not a 50/34

Your gearing will be higher. So your lowest gear won't be as low. If you find yourself using your lowest gears often, then it isn't a good idea to make that change.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • philsalliss
    Ok thanks. I do use it a bit for hills to be fair as still getting fitter so prob best sticking with same. Thanks
  • philsalliss
    Stupid question. When I've been looking at cranks there are 10 and 11 speed ones. Does that refer to how many gears there are at the rear?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Stupid question. When I've been looking at cranks there are 10 and 11 speed ones. Does that refer to how many gears there are at the rear?

Yes, but I really don't know if there is any difference between "10" and "11" speed chainsets. May be the 11 speed chainsets are slightly thinner since an 11 speed chain is narrower than a 10sp chain.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava