Canyon Aeroad CF 2014

Adammd209
Adammd209 Posts: 37
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Has anyone got any thoughts or opinions on the current Canyon Aeroad CF? Is the Ultimate CF SLX a better bike for the money? Taking riding style out of the picture that is.

Cheers

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited May 2014
    They're different types of bikes. I don't think it's really a case of better and worse. If it was then Canyon would have stopped making the Aeroad or not bothered making the SLX.
    The Aeroad is a light aero bike with a lower front and and longer top tube. The design is dictated largely by the aero requirement so while I'm sure it's a great bike it's probably slightly compromised on comfort and stiffness. The SL and SLX are very light non-aero bikes designed for low weight, good stiffness and decent comfort. The top tube is a little shorter and the head tube a little longer compared to the Aeroad. Both seem to have fans and appear to be good bikes. It's down to geometry, intended use and riding style - why would you take the later out of the picture?
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Aeroad was design as a half way house between an aero bike and a normal one. I believe the Aeroad maybe replaced this year its 5 years old now. The 2015 Canyon line up usually comes out at Eurobike.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Adammd209
    Adammd209 Posts: 37
    Yes I appreciate that they are different bikes. Just wanted the general vibe with them really. My current bike is a Giant TCR composite and I feel it's time for a change.

Loving the reviews on the Ultimate CF SLX....
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Aeroad was design as a half way house between an aero bike and a normal one. I believe the Aeroad maybe replaced this year its 5 years old now. The 2015 Canyon line up usually comes out at Eurobike.
    Yes, agree with this, I heard that it was the next model they are upgrading.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    poppit wrote:

There's also meant to be a new model coming out in a few days time called the Endurance CF.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Curto80 wrote:
    poppit wrote:

There's also meant to be a new model coming out in a few days time called the Endurance CF.

When and where did you see this?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • curto80
    Miles253 wrote:
    Curto80 wrote:
    poppit wrote:

When and where did you see this?

Canyon took out a full page advert in the most recent issue of Cycling Plus. It was all very mysterious though - no pictures or further details. The editor told me that he had a trip over there organised to find out more about it but I've heard nothing further since. From memory I think they said it was the 17th so I'm just gonna check their website then and see what the story is. I can't find any online chatter about it so it's all just a bit odd.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Miles253
    Yeah I did a quick Google rummage and found nothing, be interesting to see for sure, I hope they release the new Aeroad at the same time too. The cf/SLX range could use some new colours too
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    £1250 for a carbon bike with full campag chorus group. Unbelievable.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    Calpol wrote:
    £1250 for a carbon bike with full campag chorus group. Unbelievable.

Not sure the GBP prices are right, this is what I see in Euros.

ObfGYVz.png

http://i.imgur.com/ObfGYVz.png
  • Miles253
    Yeah those prices can't be right, DA for £1300 really? Still very good value, and the colours are lovely!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Seems to let you go through the ordering process with the DA version going into the cart at £1249 - amazing price !
  • Miles253
    Haha, snap it up before they realise!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Aren't those the prices for the endurance range? but even so excellent value for money for the spec
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • curto80
    It's a website glitch I'm afraid and won't be honoured
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    The correct prices are there now, still good value.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • curto80
    Got an email telling me about the mistake and that i'd be charged the correct price, boo!!
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Miles253
    Oof for a minute there I thought you got the good price! What made you decide to buy one already?
  • curto80
    I was just curious as to whether they'd honour it. I've cancelled my order now as not convinced at full price they are the best option.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Canyon's move away from real time exchange rates is disappointing. They used to update GBP pricing twice a week.

The Endurance CF 9.0 Pro is 2,400.00 EUR = 1,950.92 GBP at today's rate. Canyon now want to pickpocket hapless Brits £2199 some 12.7 % higher !
  • andy3216
    andy3216 Posts: 1
    I own the 2013 Aeroad CF 9.0 Pro. Exactly the same frame and spec as the 2014 model - just different paint job. I also own the Canyon Nerve CF 9.0 Ltd (MTB). Have had both bikes now for over 6 months. I'll focus on the Aeroad CF. Lovely bike. Previously rode the Giant TCR Advance LE for well over 30,000km. Completely different bikes to ride. The Aeroad has the rake shift in the forks which takes it from a very stable, almost boring ride to something closer to the Giant (in terms of whippyness and agility). Much more enjoyable once the rake position is changed. The value for money on these bikes is unparalleled in the market. The Pro came in at EUR 4,000 and was fitted with Campagnolo Record and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR WTS (beautiful wheelset). The groupset and wheels are worth EUR 4,000 alone. What drove my decision? Well, I live in Geneva, Switzerland. We have long rolling flats around the edge of the lake, coupled with steep climbs in every direction you turn. I will caveat up front - the Aeroad is rubbish at climbing, but that is not its purpose, nor are the climbs comparable to the type of climbing you would probably tackle in the UK. It is fast, and performs superbly on the (rolling) flats. Maintains speed and turns heads wherever I ride it. According to Canyon, the riding position is the most aero and aggressive in the range. I've changed the stem length and set the saddle position a fair way back. I’m 6 foot and ride a Medium. The change to a shorter stem and saddle position has greatly improved the riding position and comfort on this bike. It’s an equal pleasure to roll over both short fast crit-like 40 km efforts as it is over 100km+ rides. My only gripe, and a big one for me at that is the quality of the paint job... They could take a leaf out of the books of some of the other major bike companies here. I've had 2 issues - 1 straight out of the box, and the second more recently. Paint chip when securing the seat post off the back of the frame (fiddly mechanism which appears prone to causing this type of damage). Given the hassle of packing the bike up and shipping it back to Canyon, I decided I could live with this. The second, more recent issue relates to the forks and rack shift. The rake shift changes the orientation of the skewers in forks and thus the clamping position. A change of wheel set and skewer appears to have cracker the paint work on the underside of the L and R fork. A design flaw which misaligns the load on the paintwork/carbon of the fork?? Either way, the fork has been sent back to Canyon under a warranty claim. Disappointing. It will be interesting to see how responsive they are and whether they honour the 2 year warranty on parts and paint work. This will determine whether I proceed with my next acquisition from Canyon,... an Ultimate SLX mech frameset which I will build up with DA 9000 compact - my new climbing machine. I will provide an update.
  • Miles253
    adamfo wrote:
    Canyon's move away from real time exchange rates is disappointing. They used to update GBP pricing twice a week.

The Endurance CF 9.0 Pro is 2,400.00 EUR = 1,950.92 GBP at today's rate. Canyon now want to pickpocket hapless Brits £2199 some 12.7 % higher !

That is quite a difference, could you process the transaction in Euros, deal with the charges UK end and still save a bit?
  • adamfo
    edited May 2014
    Miles253 wrote:
    adamfo wrote:

That is quite a difference, could you process the transaction in Euros, deal with the charges UK end and still save a bit?

There are no charges at the UK end as we live in the EU single market, although some credit cards will charge up to + 2.5% on foreign currency transactions.
    VAT is paid at the point of supply so that makes no difference either.
    I bought a bike last year from Canyon and timed it at a point when Sterling was in a period of strength. Since then Canyon have started using an unrepresentative euro/sterling exchange rate and wont accept payment in euros from a UK based buyer. At least that's what they told me via email !
  • Miles253
    adamfo wrote:
    Miles253 wrote:
    adamfo wrote:

There are no charges at the UK end as we live in the EU single market, although some credit cards will charge up to + 2.5% on foreign currency transactions.
    VAT is paid at the point of supply so that makes no difference either.
    I bought a bike last year from Canyon and timed it at a point when Sterling was in a period of strength. Since then Canyon have started using an unrepresentative euro/sterling exchange rate and wont except payment in euros from a UK based buyer. At least that's what they told me via email !

Damn that's unfortunate. Quite cheeky on their part actually. When I mentioned the charges, I meant from credit card fees, sorry if that wasn't clear.
  • adamfo
    edited May 2014
    It's price gouging if you ask me. In USD markets they use a reasonable exchange rate.
    Or it may be payback time for the RAF raids on Koblenz.... :twisted:
  • ai_1
    adamfo wrote:
    It's price gouging if you ask me....
    Not good but for context, lots of UK places do the same when converting to euro.
  • adamfo
    Ai_1 wrote:
    adamfo wrote:
    Not good but for context, lots of UK places do the same when converting to euro.

I think Canyon are discriminating against the UK market.

There may be other explanations : They may think over the next 6 months Sterling will fall 10%. They may have higher warranty claims in the UK. They may think it's hard work selling into the UK ! I certainly got the impression from speaking to one of the reps, that the poor standard of written English coming from the UK baffles them.
  • ai_1
    adamfo wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    adamfo wrote:

I think Canyon are discriminating against the UK market.

There may be other explanations : They may think over the next 6 months Sterling will fall 10%. They may have higher warranty claims in the UK. They may think it's hard work selling into the UK ! I certainly got the impression from speaking to one of the reps, that the poor standard of written English coming from the UK baffles them.
    They may also be using this markup to fund the UK reps/support centre which I don't think exist in other countries.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Waiting for a Endurance CF SLX Disc with Super Record EPS
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799