Maxxis ust on WTB tcs rims

Caveman_Chris
Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
edited May 2014 in MTB general
After today's puncture I'm after changing my WTB Bronson/nano (w/tubes) to possibly maxxis hr2s without tubes.

The wheels I have are Rims WTB STi19 29” Rims with TCS System, Tubeless Ready rims on my whyte t129s (29er). The rims are already taped and I think they are meant to be tubeless fro the box but the LBS might not have been bothered.

So.....

Would the HR2s (tubeless ready of course) seat and seal ok on said rims? Could I use the valves (pesta) on my tubes or should I get new ones? And , if I fit them with the gooey stuff inside does this seal punctures on the go aswell as help seal them?

Finally are HR2s a good choice for Unmaintained natural tracks (lots of game trails) the occasional rock garden and steepish muddy climbs?

Thanks for taking the time to read the essay :)

CC
'14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
OnOne Codeine 29er

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    You need to check if the rim tape applied is just normal rim tape designed to stop the spoke holes damaging the tube. Or if it tubeless tape designed to make the rim air tight.

If you need to retape the rim then, any tubeless tape should be fine, Stan's or WTB tape or Superstar etc ...

Best to get a proper valve too rather than cutting the one out of your inner tube. For this I find getting the manufacturer specific valve better as the rubber seal will be designed to fit the rim better than a generic valve designed for any rim.

After this the Tyre should seat and seal fine with the addition of sealant. The sealant is designed to fix punctures automatically as you ride. Sometimes you won't even notice, sometimes the hole might be large and take a while to seal so you may have pump up your tyres a little bit.

The High Roller2 is one of the popular all round tyres, slightly on the more grip and more rolling resistance side but firmly in the "good for a bit of everything" camp

There are also loads and loads of guides on line about setting up tubeless tyres, take a look at few so you have a better idea of what to do.