Lock Out on Suntour Epicon doesn't work

sark716
sark716 Posts: 45
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Boardman mountain bike with Epicon air forks but the lock out doesn't work. Does anyone know if there is a way of resetting it. Can't find any clear instructions on the internet.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did it used to work?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In what way doesn't it work, lockout doesn't lock the forks solid, it just stiffens the damping right up, they will still move a bit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sark716
    I've just bought the bike 2nd hand at the weekend. Thought the lockout was too great, but also thought it would be a cheap fix. I have also found that the lockout doesn't make any difference, and also the rebound adjuster doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have read on the internet that there is a way of resetting the lockout damper, but can't find any clear instructions on the internet on how to do this.

The sag measurement is around 14 mm, when it should be about 30 mm. But the bike feels fine when I ride it.

So I'm looking for advice on if this is a cheap fix I can do myself before I take it to my LBS.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What effect do you expect the rebound damping to have?

Set the sag correct first using a shock pump and then take it from there, is the lockout remote activated from the bars (which could be a setup issue) or direct on the fork? (can still be an issue if the lever has been removed and put back in the wrong place).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    The lockout wont work if there isnt enough air in the forks put more in with your shock pump then try your lock out.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • sark716
    Sorted it.

If anyone is following this. The lockout rebound damper on these forks are fully serviceable. Just stripped them down, and found that there was very little oil inside the damper, but plenty outside of it. Just put some synthetic engine oil in for now and the lockout works perfectly. Only a few millimetres travel.

Does anyone know what type of oil I should be using for the damper ?

Forget the last comment. Found the stuff I need.