Carbon clinchers yes or no? If so which?

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
As in the title..

Looking at new wheels, like the look of few sets of carbon clinchers.

What are people's views/ experiences of them?

Any recommendations? I'm 65kg for rolling terrain and possibly la marmotte.

Cheers

Comments

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I saw the new Miche SWR RC clinchers the other week - look like a great all round wheel, come in choice of two rim depths (38mm & 50mm) but by all accounts have had a load of testing done on the braking performance. In fact I'm tempted by them myself..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    cf clinchers are a compromise, they're neither as light nor as robust as cf tubs

if you want low weight, cf tubs

otherwise, if weight is not the priority, stick with alloy, with a cf fairing of you want deep
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    don't see the point in the full carbon clincher myself. Negatives outweigh gains. Nice deep set of tubs, no brake overheating or resulting rim failure. Far lighter and stronger and good ones feel lovely.

If you want a deep clincher I would go with something that has an aluminium braking track. Little extra weight but once rolling you wouldn't feel it on even paced rolling rides.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The Miche wheels are pretty good actually. The one's I built up myself (chinese rims) have been faultless, in the dry. Braking is good in the dry. I did try them in the wet and they were still decent braking wise but it was comprimised.

Carbon tubular rims are better though in every way and I would recomend them for the reasons given above but the modern crop of clincher rim whether good chinese or branded rims from the usual suspects are pretty good and less of a risk than they used to be.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I don't really understand the reticence regarding braking. Most of the pro's race in carbon wheels and you don't see them having any issues stopping.I understand that prolonged braking and heat build up is more of an issue in a clincher wheel due to the tyre/rim interface but are there really many places in the UK where this would be an issue? Would it but be the case that something complete carbon rim would offer more stiffness than an alloy rim with a faring?

In terms of the negatives out weighing the positives and the preference for tubular tyres then again I don't quite see the argument. Yes the tubular rims are lighter but seemingly there isn't a lot in it. Fit me as a novice I.d be more worried about not having glued a tyre on properly more than over heating. Tub tyres also seem to be more expensive. I doubt many amateur riders would notice much difference between 1500g wheels and 1400g. For me if I could get a set of carbon 50mm clincher wheels at a similar weight and stiffness to my alloy rims then I would jump at them. They'd look better and would yield some sort of aero benefit so I am sure I'd be happy, plus by all accounts it would sound like I was going faster. What's not too like.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Reynolds assaults clinchers. Never had any issues and i run tubs too. The Reynolds are light, have excellent braking and offer aero benefits. Big yes from me. :D
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    What's the budget before we all start quoting every brand/type of carbon clinchers on the market.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Calpol wrote:
    I don't really understand the reticence regarding braking. Most of the pro's race in carbon wheels and you don't see them having any issues stopping.I understand that prolonged braking and heat build up is more of an issue in a clincher wheel due to the tyre/rim interface but are there really many places in the UK where this would be an issue?

Note that pros generally aren't overweight people who drag the brakes due to lack of descending ability AND they have closed roads so don't have to worry much about traffic going in either direction. Once you factor at least some of these reasons out the problems are more likely to come to the fore.
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    Calpol wrote:
    I don't really understand the reticence regarding braking. Most of the pro's race in carbon wheels and you don't see them having any issues stopping.I understand that prolonged braking and heat build up is more of an issue in a clincher wheel due to the tyre/rim interface but are there really many places in the UK where this would be an issue? Would it but be the case that something complete carbon rim would offer more stiffness than an alloy rim with a faring?

Some interesting reading here....

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/angryasian-establish-carbon-clincher-test-standards-now-41027/
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    the modern crop of clincher rim whether good chinese or branded rims from the usual suspects are pretty good and less of a risk than they used to be.

How do you discriminate a good chinese from a bad chinese? These things come with no stickers, marks or anything... you NEVER know where they originate... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Just buy rims from established dealers like farsports, who have a lot of feedback and get them build here.
    Plus, isn't wheelsmith building carbon clinchers these days? Not that I would buy them, but you'd get a warranty at least.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    mfin wrote:
    Note that pros generally aren't overweight people who drag the brakes due to lack of descending ability AND they have closed roads so don't have to worry much about traffic going in either direction. Once you factor at least some of these reasons out the problems are more likely to come to the fore.

Plus they have a team of pro mechanics who will check over their wheels after every stage and won't give a second thought to throwing them out and replacing them.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    And who also do not ride carbon clinchers but carbon tubulars.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Strith wrote:
    Just buy rims from established dealers like farsports, who have a lot of feedback and get them build here.
    Plus, isn't wheelsmith building carbon clinchers these days? Not that I would buy them, but you'd get a warranty at least.

Is that to ensure better build quality? I've seen a fair few ride reports of Chinese clinchers and there are very few problems, at least that I have come across, even As a full wheel.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group