headset sizing

aradoman
aradoman Posts: 66
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

replacing a headset for a carrera 2009/10 vulcan, ordered what i thought was the right size after reading online but turns out not :roll:

after removing the original headset it seems the OD is 49mm (measured with a tapemeasure :oops: )

ID seems to be about 44mm, but most websites only give OD when selecting headset size - do all 49mm OD headsets have the same internal diamter?

it is a semi intergrated/zero stack/ press fit headset 1 1/8

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you got a headset for a 1.5 tube.

Read the headset standards info on Parktools?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aradoman
    Got a ritchey comp but got a 46mm OD because I didnt measure first. ...

would a 50mm od ritchey headset be problematic as it has the right ID of 44mm?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your messing up terminology....

The ID is 1 1/8 inch, you need a headset with an OD where it fits into the frame (not the flanged bit) of 44mm, the Vulcan takes a normal Zero stack/semi integrated.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • RS300325
    RS300325 Posts: 14
    I found the Hope website useful when working out the replacement headset for my bike. The 'Headset Technical Guide' on http://www.hopetech.com/product/picknmix-headsets/ gives internal and external dimensions of their products. Also gave them a call, they were super helpful. Not the cheapest though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Same advice on parktools.....but it's semi integrated on that frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • aradoman
    Thanks guys, read that an FSA no.11 N was compatible, but nowherr had it in stock. Turns out merlin cycles had a FSA no.1 N and only gave description of OD. Anyway merlin must have labelled it worng as when it came it was an 11N and fits perfect.

Thats one problem solved anyway!