Fox Service

JodyP
JodyP Posts: 193
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I’m after a bit of info if anyone has used a TF tuned service/refresh kits. Looking to service a pair of 2012 Float RL lowers with new seals and fluid. The forks are working fine but has very slight residue coming from the dust wipers when the bike has been on its side for a while. The guide I will be using http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... OAT_RL.htm

The TF kit has listed a 200ml of 10wt RSP oil but also a lower lube kit consisting of lube, grease etc. What is the lower lube for if different from the 10wt?
http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/TF ... rvice-Kits

I have scoured around the web but can’t find a manual for my model of forks. I need to know what amount of fluid to put in the lowers (see link below). Line 49 from the link is for a 2013 Float CTD O/C type damper and is the nearest I can find to the model I have. Is this the right fluid level?
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... olumes.htm

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Phone TF Tuned, they are very helpful and the technicians know their onions.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The 10wt is more than likely for the damper and the lower lube goes in the lowers to lube the stanchions
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    JodyP wrote:
    I’m after a bit of info if anyone has used a TF tuned service/refresh kits. Looking to service a pair of 2012 Float RL lowers with new seals and fluid. The forks are working fine but has very slight residue coming from the dust wipers when the bike has been on its side for a while. The guide I will be using http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... OAT_RL.htm

Line 27 if its a open bath fork or does it have a FIT damper?

If its a open bath you need the 10wt for the damper leg and just add lower leg lube in the lower of the air side.
  • JodyP
    Thanks for the replies.
    Line 27 if its a open bath fork or does it have a FIT damper?

If its a open bath you need the 10wt for the damper leg and just add lower leg lube in the lower of the air side.

The forks are open and not FIT but I should have been clearer as mine have are 100mm and not 120+ of travel. Still looks like line 49 but mine isn't the type for CTD as it only has a lock out.

Might just give them a ring and talk some onions.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Line number 13 then.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    if you got a leak past your seals i'd get them looked at.

Normally i've found with fox if your seals are that far gone normally the stanchions have started to wear down and they are done for, it’s not 100% but seen it a fair few times, once with mine and few times with friends. really have to stay on top of the seals with fox forks.
  • JodyP
    if you got a leak past your seals i'd get them looked at.

Normally i've found with fox if your seals are that far gone normally the stanchions have started to wear down and they are done for, it’s not 100% but seen it a fair few times, once with mine and few times with friends. really have to stay on top of the seals with fox forks.

The seals aren't gone as such. If my bike has been in the car and laid down past horizontal there is a very very slight residue but only occasionally.

These aren't my forks but the residue is similar to the first couple of barely visible rings on the left stanchion (about 20mm above the seal) There is no oil build up on the seals like in this picture.
    DSCN1252-533x400.jpg
  • Thewaylander
    Yup thats the kind of stuff when it starts causes wear
  • JodyP
    I take it wear will be visible on the stanchions once the lowers are off?
  • Thewaylander
    You can generally notice if you look closely. might notice small marks where its rubbed and so on if you can see anything i'd get them inspected.. fox uppers are like cheese.
  • JodyP
    You can generally notice if you look closely. might notice small marks where its rubbed and so on if you can see anything i'd get them inspected.. fox uppers are like cheese.

You were right in 1 out of the two sets of forks. A seal had split and the stanchions had visible wear.

Anyway thanks for the help guys. We serviced both sets of forks at the weekend, it was an easy ish job. TF were indeed very helpful and the forks now feel silky smooth in operation.