Which GPS Computer?

Snails
Snails Posts: 10
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new GPS computer that fits the following criteria:

Heart rate, cadence, speed measurement.
Ant+ power measurement compatible.
Ability to import a previously-completed GPS route and display time difference between current effort and previous effort.

Bonuses would include altitude gain display and slope display.

I'm looking to keep things as cheap as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Garmin Edge 500/510/800/810 can do all you want. 500 will be cheapest. 800/810 have mapping and the 800 is the cheaper of the two.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Pretty much all have been reviewed here in exhaustive depth http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin by a proper cyclist (well tri-athlete to be exact)
    Regards
    Alan
  • The Mio Cyclo range will do all of that and more. Considerably cheaper than Garmins too. Have a look around, some good deals, especially on the 505 HC.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Edge 500 won't do everything OP asked. For Virtual Partner you would need 510. You will also need GSC10 sensor or equivalent ANT+ sensor/sensors for some of the other stipulations.

The Mio 505HC looks very good for a Garmin alternative!
  • Snails
    Snails Posts: 10
    Thanks very much for the advice guys. Are the Garmin Edge 510 and up and the Mio 505HC the only computers that allow you to compare your effort live to older efforts? Do none of the much cheaper devices have this feature?
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    The Mio Cyclo range will do all of that and more. Considerably cheaper than Garmins too. Have a look around, some good deals, especially on the 505 HC.

I've had a quick look around and no deals seem to be around which are considerably cheaper than a Garmin 800 for instance. Any chance you could point me in the right direction?
  • wongataa
    Snails wrote:
    Thanks very much for the advice guys. Are the Garmin Edge 510 and up and the Mio 505HC the only computers that allow you to compare your effort live to older efforts? Do none of the much cheaper devices have this feature?
    The Edge 800/810 will as well.
  • wongataa
    mfin wrote:
    Edge 500 won't do everything OP asked. For Virtual Partner you would need 510. You will also need GSC10 sensor or equivalent ANT+ sensor/sensors for some of the other stipulations.

The Mio 505HC looks very good for a Garmin alternative!
    According to the manual the 500 will do virtual partner with courses.
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    I used to have a 500 and, although I never used the VP feature, I'm pretty certain that you were able to convert an old activity to a course and race against the VP re-enacting your previous effort.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club