Accessories for Trek 1.1 Alpha

CSMR
CSMR Posts: 10
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Just won a used Trek 1.1 as my last bike was stolen. Used for riding around a medium-sized town, so short commutes.

Grateful for some help as I set this up!

The bike has a 58cm frame, 700x 25C wheels, and has mudguard eyelets and mounts for a rear rack.

1. I'm thinking of fitting a rear mudguard. Maybe SKS chromoplastics. Unless there is a shorter one that also fits reliably?

2. Also looking for a rear rack. Something small and light that fits well. I am worried that it will not fit or I will not be able to install it. On amazon reviews for rear racks almost all the negative reviews for rear racks come from people who failed to installed theirs. Should any rack fit or do I need to get the sizing right?

3. I'm thinking of getting just these simple pedals: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wellgo-Pedal-51 ... edals+slip
I can't use clip-in pedals because I use the bike with whatever shoes I am wearing, and I can't find pedals with toeclips that wouldn't damage leather soles. It would be nice to find pedals with toeclips with some rubber on the bottom that has good grip and is kind to shoes.

4. For security I have a D-Lock with cable. I am thinking of tadding an RFID tag from immobitag or bikeregister. Perhaps I should also engrave my name and contact on different parts of the bike?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Congratulations in joining the 1.1 club! I've had mine for 3.5 years now and I love it to bits.

The slim SKS mudguards should fit without complaint- I have a full length set I put on over winter. It is a faff sorting the brakes out afterwards though as the guards mount underneath them, but it's reasonably straightforward.

As for racks, any standard rack with the extensions that bolt onto the eyelets on the seat-stays will fit fine.

Other than that, I'd look for the widest tyres you can fit to aid comfort. I must admit my 1.1 isn't my first choice for small hops across town, but it will get you where you're going quickly.

EDIT:
    I also have an ISR retainagroup sticker on my bike, but it's the D-lock and shackle extender I put my faith in!
  • Mudguards should be fine, i would recommend a Topeak back rack as they are awesome.

as far as pedals go i would recommend getting some fixie straps as these are great for commuting and don't ruin your shoes, these for example

http://www.fixedgearfrenzy.com/restrap- ... traps.html
  • CSMR
    Thanks for the advice both of you! I've ordered some straps, good idea. I'll check back with you when I find a rack and pannier so I know they will all work together.
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    If it is 2013 model you will not have much success fitting a decent fixed front mudguard using the eyelets. The clearance between the fork, brakes is not enough. I have tried quite a lot of different ones and no joy.

The only one i could get that fits is the Crud ones on the front.
  • CSMR
    The bike arrived in good condition. The advert said "forks: carbon" but I don't see an indication of that and the forks sound like metal rather than carbon fiber. Should I worry about this? Did I overpay because they were advertized as carbon? Thanks!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Picture please!

As I understand it the 2014 model has carbon forks, the 2013 does not. Is your bike white with red detailing? Then it's the 2014 model. If it's blue and black then it's the 2013 model which has an alloy fork.