Wind - how to deal with it.

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
No, not that type of wind. :)

I was out riding yesterday and the wind was a real demon, gusting and swirling from every which way (except directly behind, of course :roll: )

I was blown off-course a few times when passing farm gates (which I'm prepared for) but also along open stretches of road.

What's the best way to deal with it? Slow down and cycle carefully? Power on as fast as you can?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Get off and call the missus to come get you in the car.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    There's not too much you can do about it other than get on with it.

Get down on the drops and keep as tucked as possible. Drop a few gears.

You've identified one of the big risks when riding in lanes, farm gates. Can be hard to spot sometimes - but as soon as you do, be prepared for a gust.

If I am riding with wind from my right, I will try and ride further into the road as a gust can easily push you into the verge (especially if you are a lighter rider).

Finally, if you are a little rider (as I am), have no shame - find a big chap and sit in!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Grit your teeth and dig in ...

Consistent wind is fine, it's the gusts that don't help - especially from the side - blowing you into the road is worse if you've got traffic passing - I've taken alternative routes a few times when I just can't hold a straight line on the main road.
    Generally I tuck a bit more, drop a gear and don't push flat out.
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    It was damn windy yesterday. I have not come across it before and the gusts seem to almost lift the bike and move you a foot over. Bloody scary and I really spooked myself out. I just slowed down a lot but I never quite got over it until i was out of the surrey hills area. I didn't know whether to stand up tall or bend over as it was a side wind.

I'll think twice about riding in strong gusty winds now - just not worth it.
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Its even scarier with 50mm rims and a riders weight of 65kg! :shock:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • slowbike
    goonz wrote:
    Its even scarier with 50mm rims and a riders weight of 65kg! :shock:

Eat more pies ...
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    I work for an engineering company that puts structures out on the road. We recommend that maintenance tasks are not performed in wind speeds greater than Beaufort Scale 3 or 4.

One of the things that I apply to my riding is not to go out if it's too windy. I's no fun and it's dangerous for you and other road users. The other thing is to choose your route as best you can to avoid the worst of the head and cross winds. Making sure you get the benefit of the return tail wind.

And finally, as has been said by others, pretend you're climbing a hill, drop to a lower (easier) gear, grit teeth and plough on whilst trying to keep as low as possible.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • slowbike
    buzzwold wrote:
    One of the things that I apply to my riding is not to go out if it's too windy. I's no fun and it's dangerous for you and other road users.
    Rather depends where, what obstacles are there and what the direction of the wind is (relative to your route) ...

I quite like a tailwind, headwinds are ok, sidewinds depend on the locality - if it's a steady breeze then it's manageable - if there are lots of gusts (like last week) then less so, but ok if you're riding through a sheltered road (high hedges/buildings and quiet roads)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    vvgg4u.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Be very wary of high sided lorries in cross-winds, not only can it be less predictable than normal what the lorry is going to do, but the lorry passing you will also and another dimension to your wind problem (not the rear end type...altough its possible it could affect that too :wink: ). You can be bracing yourself against a strong wind, and as the lorry passes, all of a sudden there is no wind, nearly caught me out the first time it happened. I try to avoid busy 'trunk' roads like the plague when its windy.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • peteone
    peteone Posts: 152
    I try to head out into it then use the tailwind on the way back when tired. Depending on wind direction I can avoid the worst of it by riding the valley, that's not always easy to get right though. There's also quite a few routes round here that are fairly sheltered by trees so I tend to head for these on windy days.
    Cervelo R3
    Giant TCR SL
    Ibis Tranny
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    Me and my mate did a 40 miler on Saturday, we where riding along chew lake at about 25mph in severe gusting head and cross winds when the heavens opened, oh my god we could not see a thing, cars were passing us at speed whilst we had to contend with driving hail right in our faces and a sea of water on the road.

Character building ride that.

We dealt with it by laughing.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    hanhamreds wrote:
    riding along chew lake at about 25mph in severe gusting head and cross winds

:shock: Good going against a headwind!
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    My way of dealing with strong winds is to set the turbo up in the front room and watch some TV :?

I just dont find it enjoyable constantly trying to fight the wind and worrying about cross winds. Would much rather have a quick turbo session and save my riding for another day.
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Im ok up to about 40mph winds.
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    My way of dealing with strong winds is to set the turbo up in the front room and watch some TV :?

I just dont find it enjoyable constantly trying to fight the wind and worrying about cross winds. Would much rather have a quick turbo session and save my riding for another day.

Ditto :D
  • grey_area
    grey_area Posts: 28
    Gusting winds are the occasions that my MTB finally gets brought out - much more comfortable riding than on the road.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    hanhamreds wrote:
    riding along chew lake at about 25mph in severe gusting head and cross winds

:shock: Good going against a headwind!

yeah - me thinks thats a classic cycling cafe talk. 25mph in a head wind.... that is obviously not a headwind!
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Route planning; look at the weather forcast and take a look outside to check the direction. If they are available ride in lanes rather than open areas where there is going to be a side or headwind.

Gusts: Relax, if you stiffen up on the bike in anticipation of a cross gust you will get blown sideways. Try to 'roll with it', this is easier said than done.

Adapt: I come from somewhere where it was either windy or very windy. You either ride in the wind and get a bit stronger (which does not always equate to getting faster when it's not windy) or you spend a lot of time off the bike. Like anything you can improve with practice.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,653
    FWIW I'm 55kg and spent about 5 years cycling around the Fens.

Know where the wind is coming from - lean into them if they're coming from the side. Don't hold too tightly on your bars.

Also pushing a slightly lighter gear will help with the little accelerations you need to do in gusty conditions.