Ratchet sound

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have noticed an occasional tick sound whilst pedaling on anything other than down hill. It occurs maybe every two revolutions.

However when I am climbing, or putting full pressure on the left crank I get a ratchet like sound as the pedal gets to the bottom and starts to come back up. Perhaps for one eighth of a revolution. Very loud. I took it to my LBS who took the bike for a quick ride and were not able to find anything. Although their mechanic is a lot lighter than me I am wondering if weight is a factor.

Any idea's on a cause ?

The BB was replaced just over a week ago (Shimano Deore BB)

Comments

• EricPilot
    EricPilot Posts: 17
    I doubt its the BB, it could be the front mech cable if its too long, maybe its catching on the crank arm? I had a similar issue and found the front mech cable was the culprit.
  • echowitch
    Hard tail - Cube Analog 29er.

My LBS had a look and couldn't find a cause. They ensured that everything was nice and tight (ever so slightly loose screw on the crank) and then on the way home I found the cause when going off a curb and the left crank arm snapped off across the middle.

I am now waiting on Chain Reactions warranty department to get back to me about a replacement.

10253843_10203202130666793_17776508438564322_n.jpg
  • Fook!!!
    Better check my deore cranks lol!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Ouch that could have caused a nasty injury.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • echowitch
    Yep good job is was low speed (relatively) and not at high speed in Swinley.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    My gosh! That's quite a snap! Didn't see that coming I must say...