Dual sided SPD and flat

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2014 in Commuting general
What are these like? I'm thinking about replacing my SPD with these

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

As I bike to work with regular shoes, it's only a short trip but it's also used for a bit longer rides, so small spot of regular SPD is getting a bit uncomftable.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got the clip in platforms - although I've not bothered to use them for the short rides with family recently - but they are handy as I can leave them off for my riding or pop them on if someone is borrowing the bike or I'm off on a longer family jaunt ...
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    I used to have a pair. They do a job, but aren't particularly good at either.
    I ended up buying cheap flats and some SPDs and swapping out the pedals, depending on where I was going.
    It takes less than 5 minutes if you have a decent pedal spanner.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I had those exact pedals.
    They weren't weighted to fall on the spd side being up, so annoyed the hell out of me once I moved to SPD.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I had the same experience as BA...

eventually I upgraded to the Shimano A520s

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec006484

which do naturally fall to the clip side and are still dual sided.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The cheap plastic platforms make the most sense for the OP I would suggest.

the cast Shimano double sided always stop edge up, so you roll it forwards or backwards depending which side you want.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I really like the look of Wellgo D10 dual sided pedals, you get a cleat on one side and magnesium alloy flat with 8 adjustable lugs.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/flat ... ountry=190

To me it looks like the best option for dual sided use as you get a proper wide flat platform with lugs so your foot wont slide about if it gets wet.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I have the A530s on one of my bikes (commuter and pub bike) and recommend them.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/a530-touring-pedals-ec008662
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    elbowloh wrote:
    I have the A530s on one of my bikes (commuter and pub bike) and recommend them.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/a530-touring-pedals-ec008662

Ah whoops. I meant the A530s!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I've had M324s on my hybrid for six years and have no issues with weighting - they stay in position when I take my foot off whether I'm riding flat side or cleat side.

I've had a CX bike for a month now and fitted the A530s to it two weeks ago, and I really like them. They are smaller and lighter, but for some reason I find them easier to clip in and out. Obviously I have a different posture on the CX, so I can't say it's down to the pedals alone. However I have not yet had a ride using the flat side in the wet, and that's always the worst way with them - I've got bruised shins from the M324s on several ocassions due to slips.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    mrfpb wrote:
    I've had M324s on my hybrid for six years and have no issues with weighting - they stay in position when I take my foot off whether I'm riding flat side or cleat side.

I've had a CX bike for a month now and fitted the A530s to it two weeks ago, and I really like them. They are smaller and lighter, but for some reason I find them easier to clip in and out. Obviously I have a different posture on the CX, so I can't say it's down to the pedals alone. However I have not yet had a ride using the flat side in the wet, and that's always the worst way with them - I've got bruised shins from the M324s on several ocassions due to slips.

This is exactly the scenario I have. Except I have the 324's on my MTB which is my 2nd bike.

I also find the 530's easier to clip into, but bought the 324's as a friend often borrows my 2nd bike, and he doesn't rise clipless.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mrfpb wrote:
    However I have not yet had a ride using the flat side in the wet, and that's always the worst way with them - I've got bruised shins from the M324s on several ocassions due to slips.

Just a quick update to say I have now had ample experience with the A530s in the wet and they are much better than the M324s. Despite the smaller size there is a lot more pedal in contact with the shoe on the flat side. Not sure if the OP is still looking but the A530s are well worth the extra cost.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    +1 for the A530s. On my commuter, good pedals, weighted so the SPD side is up. Useful.

That said, I think in about 4 years I've used 'normal' shoes but once, so I will probably not be going for them again and just get a pure SPD pedal.
  • I've been using these for commuting:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... p-prod4516

Seem pretty robust, have ridden them for shortish distances with trainers, you can feel the clip platform but has never been uncomfortable, I'm not sure how they would be on a longer distance.
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"