putting bike back together advice needed

Northern_Monkey13
Northern_Monkey13 Posts: 79
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Now i have stripped the stumpjumper i got for £150 down to its frame, I just need a bit of advice on a few things -

It has the older Xt brakes on it and just wondered what pads everyone recommended, I have seen the metal, kevlars and sintered pads but just wondered what experiance people had with them?
Plus whats the best way to bleed them?

Its got the fox F90RL forks on it so thought id be brave and have a go at replacing the foam rings, rubber seals and suspension oil which was easier then thought.
Now would u recommend replacing the damper oil while im at it and if so is it as easy as releasing the air and then un screwing it?

Replacing the cassette and middle chain ring now its 9 speed and i know this sounds stupid but should i replace like for like or can i try a different amount of Teeth on them?

think thats it for now lol

thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pads = sintered and metal are the same, sintered are harder wearing but lack initial responce (relatively) and if they fade do so very quickly, organic are less hard wearing and can be worn out very quickly in wet/muddy conditions (364 days a year in the UK then), Kevlar are the best of both worlds.

I have older XT (M765) and bleed by levelling lever on bars, removing the cap, sucking fluid out the reservoir then using a syringe on the bleed port on the calliper to squirt fresh fluid through, I can do it an less than 5 minutes easily.

Definitely replace the damper oil, you'll lose some anyway!

You can try a different number of teeth, but post specific Q's in workshop and tech, for example you may need to change the chain length.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks for the reply, ill figure out what the originals teeth were and then post it in the workshop section with the diff options.