Medium or long cage rear mech, help?

realnumber 1
realnumber 1 Posts: 675
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks, been a away from this forum for some time... Recently I've bought a new bike and I'm looking to upgrade the rear mech to a XT shadow+ but I'm not 100% sure which of the above I should go for so any advice would be great!

My current setup is a SLX double with 22-36 tooth and at the back an XT 11-36 (10 speed).

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    One with a capacity of at least 39t
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Medium any day. Tbh you can run a medium cage with a triple set up as long as your careful not to go big-big or small-small, so yours will be fine with a medium
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Long cage for that setup
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cqc wrote:
    Medium any day. Tbh you can run a medium cage with a triple set up as long as your careful not to go big-big or small-small, so yours will be fine with a medium

Ignore this
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    So from looking on the shimano site they do a 35 and 43 cage so looks like long it is.

Shame as I was hoping I could get away with a medium... Either way at least it'll hopefully be an end to years of chain slapping...!!

Cheers for the quick replies :)
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Cqc wrote:

Ignore this
    but the thing is is that there is no reason to use the long cage as long as you are careful
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have been using a medium cage on the same set up for at least a couple years now without troubles.