Helmet for 63cm head

Mattlufcbell
Mattlufcbell Posts: 15
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for a helmet that doesn't look ridiculously oversized on my ridiculously oversized head. I'd need a 63cm.

Thanks, Matt.

Comments

• carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Specialized Prevail size L suits 63cm head. They are comfy and light. I have a 61 cm noggin and plenty of adjustment
  • stepdavi
    stepdavi Posts: 135
    kask mojito mate.
    2016 diamondback heist 2.0
    2015 giant propel advanced 1
    2015 Genesis day one disc ss
    2014 giant roam 2
  • Lazer O2 XL is another option.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Not all 63cm helmets fit in the same way.

Giro helmets are more oval, front to back, where as Kask are more rounded. My 63cm Giro Ionos fits me well, but a 63cm Kask doesn't fit at all.
    Conversely, my brother also has a 63cm head, but has a 63cm Kask which fits him well, but the 63cm Giro doesn't fit at all.

Bell also make massive helments for massive heads.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • gin0rm0
    gin0rm0 Posts: 40
    carrock wrote:
    Specialized Prevail size L suits 63cm head. They are comfy and light. I have a 61 cm noggin and plenty of adjustment
    +1 to this. I have the previous S Works helmet and fits like a glove on my big noggin. Also tried a Large Evade this morning which also fitted well.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Giro
    left the forum March 2023
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Giro for me too and my head has its own planetary system circulating it - but - as MattC59 says shape is equally as important as size, giro fits me but Kask doesn't.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think the Mojito large is quite odd, best for wide heads. Everybody's head is different, go try them on. There's sizing and then what they look like 'on'. It's similar with glasses/sunglasses, some look shocking on some faces and dead right on others. Most cyclists just buy what they think looks good in isolation in a photo though and never realise if whatever it is actually looks sh1t on them.
  • odessouky
    odessouky Posts: 264
    I also have a large head, 64 I think, and the ONLY helmet that fit my head was the MET CROSSOVER XL, and it looks good and has a red light integrated in the back of the helmet
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Have had the S-works Prevail and the Giro Aeon. Latterfitted my 63cm head better.

Worth trying the two if you get a chance as it comes down to shape as well as size of head.
  • Thanks guys, some good suggestions for me to look at there. I've got a mavic plasma at the moment but it's just not comfortable for more than an hour.
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    My head is 62 cm. I have a couple of Giros and a couple of Specialized.

I find the Specialized much more comfortable. The Giro ones are more oval, ie. loose at the sides and tight at the front and back.