Would a carbon stem make a difference?

joestella28
joestella28 Posts: 165
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I ride a Giant Defy 0 frame built up with a cobbled together 9 speed 105/Ultegra groupset on a set of Planet-X Model B wheels (with 23mm Mavic Aksion tyres).

I'm struggling a bit with number/tingling fingers and was wondering if a carbon stem would help at all? The other consideration would be forks with a carbon steerer but don't fancy the cost!.

I suppose another option might be a switch to 25mm tyres?

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Basically, no... Bars might make a very slight difference, but not much.

Wider tyres might make a difference if you ran them at a lower pressure, but you should also be looking at position on the bike, weight distribution, core strength etc. Ideally when you are pedalling at a decent effort you should be able to lightly rest your hands on the bars or the hoods without exerting a massive amount of pressure.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    No difference in fact alloy stems can be lighter. Comfort comes mainly from tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    I get it occasionally especially when not been on the bike for a while,
    Too much body weight on the bars can be a problem
    Look up 'cyclists palsy'
    Some riders use gel pads under the tape and gel gloves to ease the symptoms.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Almost all 'carbon stems' are aluminium stems with a carbon wrap and make no difference (they also happen to be heavier).

I noticed my Ritchey Monocurve bar/stem combo make a difference in overall comfort, but not as much as 25c tyres...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Fit some 25mm tyres, don't pump them up too hard and invest in some decent mitts. As the Defy has an alloy fork, which can be pretty harsh, a carbon fork is the only worthy carbon upgrade.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..