decent all rounder tyre

kester
kester Posts: 79
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Looking at getting a new set of tyres that have decent all round ability. Currently have conti - gravity set of tyres but had them on for a few years now n fancy a change. Most of my biking is done at trail centres in north lakes and 7 staines. Wheel size is 26in and my wheels can't take tubeless, so any suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    I like my racing ralphs, but I've heard nobby nicks are a decent trial centre tyre, bit more grip but heavier also.

Can you tell us if you need them to be light and fast, or slow and sticky. Also if you ride on the road to trail centres. You might want to think about tyre width also
  • kester
    I drive to the trails so not often on tarmac. I tend to cycle right round the trails rather than shortcut to the d/h sections. Pref light and fast but wont get bogged down if i'm going through mud etc.
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    I find Bontrager XR4 Team Issue 2.2 work well everywhere.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Trail kings front and mountain king ii back are good, as are maxis minion dhf front and ardent back
  • kester
    edited May 2014
    Cheers for the replies guys. Looking at the maxxis minions as they also have loads of good reviews on chain reactions website.

Couple of questions again, whats the differance between single and dual ply? And the differance between the supertacky and maxxpro compounds?
  • AAddict
    AAddict Posts: 77
    Hans Dampf, seem pretty goof for most things.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In other words, whatever whoever happens to be using is best.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    cooldad wrote:
    In other words, whatever whoever happens to be using is best.
    Just thinking that.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Kinda sums up the fact that asking 'what is the best___' theory doesn't really work! however I'm sure our suggestions are helping the op narrow his search down
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    kester wrote:
    Hi

but had them on for a few years now n fancy a change.

As said above, tyre choice is very personal.

My question would be around your 'fancy a change' comment. Why? What do you not like about your current tyres?

FWIW, I use Nobby Nics most of the time.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I really like the spesh butcher control upfront and purgatory control on the rear. I have used this combo through winter and now spring and it's been great
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    the cheap compound mountain kings are utterly dreadful!

specialized purgatory control works for me cheap enough as well
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    One-One Smorgasbord on the rear, fast rolling on hard pack, but very predictable and actually quite grippy in the loose/ wet. I wouldn't recommend it on the front however... I have the Trail Extreme and haven't yet punctured (after 8 months of rather rocky riding) even recently, where I've been running super low pressures (20-ish PSI) for loose, dry, rocky climbs.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    BigAl wrote:
    My question would be around your 'fancy a change' comment. Why? What do you not like about your current tyres?

Yep, more info required on what you want different otherwise hard to recommend something. Eg Maxiss Ignitor, Nobby Nic, Conti Rubber Queens etc.. are all good all round tyres. But if you want the lightest then I think the Nobby Nic wins, if you want more volume then I think Contis might come out the biggest etc ...
  • kester
    jairaj wrote:
    BigAl wrote:

Yep, more info required on what you want different otherwise hard to recommend something. Eg Maxiss Ignitor, Nobby Nic, Conti Rubber Queens etc.. are all good all round tyres. But if you want the lightest then I think the Nobby Nic wins, if you want more volume then I think Contis might come out the biggest etc ...

had maxxis ignitor as stock when got the bike and hated them! got the conti - gravity as they were cheap and had good reviews for the price but had them on my bike for 4 years now.

mainly looking for rolling faster tyres, as i was with a few lads at whinlatter and coming down a forest track i was pedalling just to keep up with them and they were just rolling down. other problems/gripes i find with the gravity's are that they seem to loose grip when going fast and cornering on the d/h sections.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Compund often counts for more than the name on the tyre - Ignitors in Exception compound are quite different to standard wire bead - and triple the price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At least the panaracer XC pro is the same compound folding and steel bead!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    nick-gti wrote:
    the cheap compound mountain kings are utterly dreadful!

specialized purgatory control works for me cheap enough as well

This very much.

Specialized butcher control is like a Maxxis minion but lighter, so i would say butcher up front and purg at the rear for a decent rolling very grippy combo.
  • My Maxiss Advantages are coming to the end of their life, so may look up a few of the suggestions on this thread.

Tyre choice is a personal choice and also depends where and how you ride, but it good to see what else is out there that people recommend.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I use my Maxxis Advantage in the Lakes without any issues - Aspens on the rear in summer.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • kester
    cheers for all the replies, sorry not replied been ill and then was away over the weekend.

after tons of looking i've got my choices narrowed down but have some questions on the Conti Mountain Kings and Rubber Queen/Trial King mainly about the cheaper compounds on offer.
    Everyone seems to slate them for ripping/causing punctures etc but my cheaper, older Conti Gravity's have never suffered from that problem over the 3 1/2 years i've had them. should i fork out for the black chilli versions or "risk" the cheaper ones?

other option ive narrowed down is the Maxxis Minions.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Don't bother with the prOtection trail kings at £50 when the black chilli rubber queen (same tyre basically, but without unnecessary protection can be had for £25). Stick with the black chilli though.
  • briefcasew
    briefcasew Posts: 63
    Specialized Purgatory Control on the front and a Ground Control on the back have been great for me in the Pentlands through winter and spring.