Campagnolo Veloce 10sp Rear Derailleur Problem

Kerbdog
Kerbdog Posts: 68
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

Hope someone can help me sort this out - im completely baffled.

I was riding to work last week when my pedals suddenly stopped turning. I hoped off the bike and after several minutes poking around discovered that a stone had somehow managed to get wedged between the jockey wheel and the derailleur cage. So I free the stone and set off again but not my shifting is all over the place and the chain seems to have lost all tension.

I have just been out to try to sort the shifting out and nothing I do seems to be working. There is no chain tension and the cage is rubbing on the cassette. It looks to me like the mech need lowering but turning the B screw adjustment (or whatever Campag call it) is having no effect. The way the mech is sitting the cage is not even getting close to the stop (if that makes sense). I have removed the derailleur and nothing seems to be damaged or bent.

Has anyone any ideas on what is going on?

Cheers,
Rob

Comments

• Kerbdog
    Weird,

Just went outside to get some photos. Had to reattach the cable as I had took if off earlier when messing about and it seems to be fine now. God knows what was going on or what i did but it seems to be sorted now. I will re-index the gears and keep an eye on it.

Cheers for the help,
    Rob
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    glad it is sorted...
  • Kerbdog
    Hi,

I'm back again.

Finally got a chance yesterday to look at this again and unfortunately it is not fixed. After a lot of faffing about and scratching my head I have located the problem though. Turns out there is a small bit of metal on the mech that has broke, just where the derailleur screws onto the hanger. As a result it is rotating too far forward and causing the chain to lose tension. If i am reading this diagram correctly it is part 'B' that has broke.

http://branfordbike.com/merchant/1677/i ... er_pr1.jpg

Anyway, I'm guessing it is new mech time. Just had a look and turns out these are quite pricey (not had the road bike long and run SRAM X7 on the mountain bike), £60 for bottom of the range Campag! Maybe I should have looked into this before i ordered a fully equipped Campag bike, but i digress.

I have had a look on ebay and the like but can someone please confirm whether any Campag 10 speed rear mech will work as a replacement (I don't think any other brand will but I may be wrong)?

Cheers,
    Rob
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Talk to Graeme at Velotech - http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/index.shtml. You might be able to just replace the part. That said, if it is a fairly new mech then from what I recall Graeme saying those are harder to fix so you might want to send the mech in to Velotech to be repaired. Cheaper than a new mech. Not everything these days is disposable.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I had this with a Veloce mech after a particularly vigorous offroad excursion - managed to replace it with a part off a trashed Centaur mech. It's a 5 minute job.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Kerbdog
    Ok guys, thanks for the help.

I think I am going to have a scout around for a used rear mech to salvage spares off and have a go at repairing it (whats the worst that can happen - its already broke).

Does anyone know if the Xenon mech share similar parts (Pivot sleeve and jockey wheels). At around £30 for a new one of these isnt bad if i get the sleeve i need and spare jockey wheels.

Cheers,
    Rob
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I looked in my spares box and had the choice of a Xenon and an older Centaur mech to cannibalise - the Centaur was a closer match dimensionally. Even if the Xenon mech part doesn't work, the whole rear mech will, so you're not going to be down. It only needs a small, flat-bladed screwdriver to prise-off the C-clip change the part.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Kerbdog
    Hi,

Because I hate an unfinished thread, which I generally come across when I'm trying to find the solution to a problem, I thought I would close this one properly to hopefully help anyone with a similar problem.

I ordered a replacement derailleur pivot sleeve (part no RD-RE116) for around £20 delivered. I have just fitted it and it was an absolute doddle, took about 3 minutes.

Thanks for the help guys,

Rob.
  • Interesting thread, the same bit broke on my bike in a cross race a few weeks ago, Ribble fixed it FOC as it was only 10 months old and Campag stuff is guaranteed for 2 years, took me a while to work out what it was but is there a problem with this part?
    Terrible tim
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    My opinion:
    Part B of the Veloces and lower models was cast steel which can break, and this part of Centaur and higher is more solid and do'nt break.
  • wilky27
    wilky27 Posts: 200
    I have centaur, just snapped mine this weekend doing cross.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Apparently my theory is not correct...
    Need one? Have a Veloce B part laying around (VL119)
    (Campa prize is 23€)