rusty brompton

pros
pros Posts: 12
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hi

I have a Brompton which is a couple of years old in good condition except that the seat post is rusty, I don't want to grease it as I think that would make it slip when riding. Any suggestions to remove and keep at bay the rust would be appreciated.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    if you mean it's rusted in place it may be hard to remove, try plusgas to ease it

a bit of grease won't make metal seatposts slip
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    put seatpost in vice.

Grab hold of bike and turn to release seatpost (much greater leverage than just using the seat).

Clean all rust off seat post and inside of frame using dremel and cutting compound (used for rubbing down paintwork on cars - slightly abrasive but nothing major).

Slap some copperslip on, tighten up, job jobbed.

As above, a slight layer of grease won't make it slip but the copper particles in copperslip that make it slightly abrasive also act as a very weak carbon paste type of thing.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm not familiar with the world of Bromptons, or any other origami bicycles for that matter, but can you not replace the (presumably) steel seatpost with an alloy one if the rust bothers you?

Or is it unusually sized so that the steel original is the only option?
  • pros
    pros Posts: 12
    Thanks guys,
    sorry for not responding sooner but I have not been able to log in for some reason.

The post is not seized it is just a cosmetic issue, I think an alternative post would be the best option.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Or just polish the rust off with Solvol and don't let it get rusty again.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.