Tour Series

13»

Comments

• ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Pross wrote:
    Isn't there a round on the island in a few weeks too (or is it Jersey)?

It's in Jersey, next week.

I enjoyed watching the race last night, even though seeing the riders up close made me feel older and fatter than ever. :( Canary Wharf is a nightmare round for the organisers but a good spectacle and it was good to see a local(ish) boy from one of the less fancied teams go well, and Matt Gibson too.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I enjoyed watching the race last night, even though seeing the riders up close made me feel older and fatter than ever. :( Canary Wharf is a nightmare round for the organisers but a good spectacle and it was good to see a local(ish) boy from one of the less fancied teams go well, and Matt Gibson too.

Gibson was strong again. Good win for Horton. Deano's bum hanging out of his shorts after his tumble, was...cheeky...

The poor Catford Banks guys were blowing out of their aF$es though...
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065

The obscenely wealthy Catford Banks guys were blowing out of their aF$es though...

FTFY :wink:

Where do Catford get their money from? I heard they were offering £3000/yr and 2-3 bikes to some of their riders?
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Yeah it is a double round in Jersey with a hill climb too, I had the option to ride in that in a guest team but thought i'd save myself a kicking and just watch, there is also a sportive on the Saturday then a road race on the sunday using the course that was used a few years back when the Tour of Brittany started in Jersey which I am riding.

http://jersey.com/english/sightsandactivities/cycling/jersey-festival-of-cycling/pages/default.aspx
  • ozzzyosborn206
    Crampeur wrote:

The obscenely wealthy Catford Banks guys were blowing out of their aF$es though...

FTFY :wink:

Where do Catford get their money from? I heard they were offering £3000/yr and 2-3 bikes to some of their riders?

Jeff Banks (the fashion designer) is a member of the club and put in some £250,000. Fair play to him for supporting the sport so much, but that sort of money for an amateur U23 squad is ludicrous. I believe they also have other cash paying sponsors as well.

Considering at Zappi's our team budget was not much more than 20% of that included (admittedly terrible) food bikes and accommodation for almost 10 months, the thought of having that amount of money for 5 riders is unbelievable.

that is a massive budget, have they got any decent results? you could have a team riding full time in Europe for that easy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Yeah it is a double round in Jersey with a hill climb too, I had the option to ride in that in a guest team but thought i'd save myself a kicking and just watch, there is also a sportive on the Saturday then a road race on the sunday using the course that was used a few years back when the Tour of Brittany started in Jersey which I am riding.

http://jersey.com/english/sightsandactivities/cycling/jersey-festival-of-cycling/pages/default.aspx

Yep, I was initially asked by a team to organise a National A on that weekend but couldn't due to that Sunday race, was going to do a National B instead but the team in question have to race over there so there was no point. I do like a good seafront crit. The road race loop looks a bit small for a race of that stature though - looks almost like a kermesse.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Gibson was strong again. Good win for Horton. Deano's bum hanging out of his shorts after his tumble, was...cheeky...

The poor Catford Banks guys were blowing out of their aF$es though...

Backed it up in Nocturne, incredible riding for Tobyn