Mileage to expect from a used cassette.

Bjorn05
Bjorn05 Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,
I'm new to cycling and am planning to do a low to medium difficulty 300km trek and have come across a used Rockrider 5.0 for 50€ (approx $70). I've examined the quality of the bike (frame, tires, rims, bottom bracket, headset, dérailleur, etc) and found that it's in really good quality for such a price.
However, I've been wondering how many Km's to expect from its Shimano Alivio chainring set and the 8speed cassette. I'd be more than happy if you could help me with your opinion on this matter.
Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nothing.

Chain needs replacing as that is dead and a new chain will most likely skip on that cassette.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bjorn05
    Thanks a lot to both of you. Given the fact that I'm in a financially tough situation, would you recommend cleaning and lubing the chain as a solution?
  • iLukeKendall
    iLukeKendall Posts: 160
    That chain is beyond recovery by the looks of it. The cassette also looks pretty well rusted. You could replace both components which might set you back about £30-£40 for both, and by the time you add that to the cost of the second hand bike, you may as well buy the new bike for a little bit more money.
    Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Cassette and chain are deader than a dead thing. You could with lots of time and effort make it just about useable for a short pedal to the shops but a 300km ride forget it you will probably end up walking 290kms.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bjorn05 wrote:
    Thanks a lot to both of you. Given the fact that I'm in a financially tough situation, would you recommend cleaning and lubing the chain as a solution?
    Nope.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bjorn05
    Merci!!! Your advise is well taken. Cycling has become my new-found passion for adventure. I find it difficult to afford an MTB since I'm a student and am living on my own. My maximum is €150 for a used one. Anyway, this is my first time on Bikeradar and you've been very kind to answer such a small question. A big thank to everyone. Peace!!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good buys are available for that much, best to post links to online adverts for opinions.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    Where are you based Bjorn
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Bjorn05
    stubs wrote:
    Where are you based Bjorn
    Hi, I live in Strasbourg, France (just near the French-German border).
  • stubs
    If you have a Decathlon store near you something like these would get you rolling. Prices are in £s and models might be different but the Rock Rider bikes are usually good solid bikes.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-300-mountain-bike-id_8284495.html
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-340-mountain-bike-orange-id_8302232.html
  • Bjorn05
    Thanks a lot. There's a Decathlon store just a few Kms away from my place. I've found this bike for €200. Can you please tell me whether the front suspension of this bike is considerably reliable and durable? Given the fact that low end bikes come with low quality suspension system, I'm a little worried about going for such a product.
    http://www.decathlon.fr/vtt-rockrider-3 ... l#v1819975
  • stubs
    The fork has whats called an elastomer spring as long as you keep everything clean and strip and grease it occasionally the fork will probably last for years. It wont be the best but I think you know that, it will take some of the sting out of the bumps but it wont be a magic carpet ride.

For your budget and the back up Decathlon can give you I reckon you will be fine with the 340. I would say get yourself a cycle multi-tool and search the internet for cycle servicing information. On this forum we usually recommend parktools or Sheldon Brown websites but there might be something in your native language. Or just ask on here someone will help you out